New Racking

soliver

So i have decided that im going to get into breeding. Mainly African Cichlids.

Started to build the racks but there far from done.

In the end, there will be 2 walls of racks.

Wall 1- nine 33 gallon tanks

Wall 2- six 58 gallon tanks + one 55 gallon tank

Here is a picture of what one of the racks looks like so far.

Rack.jpg

My plan is to enclose the tanks so they all look like picture frames. Will have flaps(wood) on hinges covering the open space above the tanks.

• 3 weeks later...

No i never thought of doing that. I want to keep my water at 80. How would i heat the room high enough. Its in an open floor plan basement not an individual room. The racks are well supported an bolted to the mall.

i need to build a rack for some of my tanks but i am worried about building a rack that wont hold the weight, but at the same time i dont want to over build it either. what does your shelves look like underneath the tanks and how did you attach the shelves to the vertical supports? could you take a picture of the underside of the shelf?

No i never thought of doing that. I want to keep my water at 80. How would i heat the room high enough. Its in an open floor plan basement not an individual room. The racks are well supported an bolted to the mall.

You would need a fish "room" for that. I think that it's the way to go though. I like to turn down the heat at night to 15 deg C, but the smaller heaters are on almost continously then, and as such my electricity bill goes through the roof!

• 2 weeks later...

You could always set up a curtained off wall with some thick fabric and that way you can remove the curtain when you are downstairs so you can see the fish and the heaters would pick up the slack if the room stays open. Also if it's in the basement you might want to buy some of that cheap foamboard and have it behind the tanks against the wall for extra insulation inside the tank cabinets. I have some extra from my 80 gallon project.

Your setup looks really really wonderfull and it's something that i really want for my house.

Thanks for sharing

L

• 3 weeks later...

Second wall. There are six 58 gallon tanks on the bottom 2 rows and a 55 gallon tank on top. On either side of the 55, im going to enclose it with shelves and doors.

P1060111.jpg

This is the room where the tanks are. Its the fish/work out room.

P1060113.jpg

Air pump I use

P1060114.jpg

Air piping which is at the top of the racks.

P1060115.jpg

Air valves i use to tie off of the main air pipe. I have 2 lines per tank.

P1060116.jpg

Edited by soliver