50 Gallon Planted

devocole

Well it is finally here. It has been a long process, I originally ordered an ADA set up but it fell through and got this one made by aquarium illusions. I think the builder did a solid job on the stand and I now prefer the starfire glass to the ADA tanks. It has taken me almost 8 months to accumulate the equipment

for this set up as it was very costly but i wanted to get it right the first time.

The dimensions are 36*18*18, 50 gallon.

Tek lighting T5 HO, 4*39 watts for total of 156.

5lb CO2 diffused with a DIY PVC inline.

Calaqua Lab Lilly pipes and drop checker.

ADA Amazonia Soil and Power Sand.

Inline 200 watt hydor heater.

Eheim classic 2215

Right now my issues are:

1. Will 2215 have enough flow for the whole tank and would it be possible to hook up my extra ecco 2232 via a Y connector on the same route.

2. Right now i have legs for my Tek and would prefer a hanging arm. Which involves bending steel or conduit rods, if anyone has experience

or confidence send me some advice.

3. And most importantly where to find my hardscape.

Right now i'm thinking i would like to make an Iwagumi type scape (rock and foreground plants) but not the typical type. I'd like to try and make

something that looks kind of like a real mountain scape. Using dwarf hairgrass for fields, HC for leafy trees, and flame moss for evergreens. So right

now i'm trying to find rock that would make good mountains, and once that is done, i'll order a bunch of flame moss off the internet. I have the rest.

This journal will most likely be dry for a while.

DSC03185.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time you've posted this.

I've been raring to come over and take a look at the thing !

Also i just saw this thread that i'm basing my own coming iwagumi off of:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-jou...-iwagumi-2.html

Says that bigals has some zebra rock, and if you can find larger chunks it would be nice.

Also you're looking for seiryuu stone, as i saw posted on 3-4 other forums months ago, if you can land that stuff then well, it would be perfect IMO.

Also with iwagumis their filtration requirement is much more like a regular tank rather than a planted tank due to it's more open nature, so i think the 2215 should be fine, as it's all carpet plants, so more of the water could disperse pretty well, but keep in mind the PVC inline CO2 reactor will take a chunk off the flow ( also i'm looking to make one ... ) , as well as the inline heater.

Also note about the ADA Tanks: The newer ones now use (i think) opti-white glass which is similar in quality to starphire tanks.

But i'd rather support a local business than an overcharging rich Japanese man that sells dirt for insanely high prices.

Good luck with the tank (: !

So you finally have that in place. When I came to pick up the neons and the otto it had just arrived. I bet you gaze at the empty tank and visualise the finished landscape.. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Hope it turns out like you envision as you have waited for this for quite some time.

Raj.

Ya I like that Zebra stone but not exactly what i'm looking for. Seiryu would be perfect, if you remember the forum send the link my way.

As for filtration I think you are right, I'll give that a go first and can always add the ecco later.

Thanks

It's about time you've posted this.

I've been raring to come over and take a look at the thing !

Also i just saw this thread that i'm basing my own coming iwagumi off of:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-jou...-iwagumi-2.html

Says that bigals has some zebra rock, and if you can find larger chunks it would be nice.

Also you're looking for seiryuu stone, as i saw posted on 3-4 other forums months ago, if you can land that stuff then well, it would be perfect IMO.

Also with iwagumis their filtration requirement is much more like a regular tank rather than a planted tank due to it's more open nature, so i think the 2215 should be fine, as it's all carpet plants, so more of the water could disperse pretty well, but keep in mind the PVC inline CO2 reactor will take a chunk off the flow ( also i'm looking to make one ... ) , as well as the inline heater.

Also note about the ADA Tanks: The newer ones now use (i think) opti-white glass which is similar in quality to starphire tanks.

But i'd rather support a local business than an overcharging rich Japanese man that sells dirt for insanely high prices.

Good luck with the tank (: !

You are right. That is why I'm going to start out by turning my lights on only for 6hrs or so each day after the sun has past. I'm east facing and I figure it gets 2-4 hrs of sunlight.

Just a quick observation. It look likes the tank will be hit with some amount of direct sunlight when your windows are uncovered - this could make algae a more serious and ongoing problem in your tank.

Looking forward to your progress.

DSC03190.jpg

DSC03189.jpg

DSC03195.jpg

DSC03202.jpg

She's coming together. After 4 hours i'm pretty happy with how its looking. A really nice employee at home depot helped me bend and cut the conduit for free. My only concern right now is whether the little wire aluminum sleeve that i clamped will hold my light indefinately.

Which home depot did you hit up ?

I'd like some of those pipe bending services as well .

Essentially any HD will have pipe bending service, either through the rentals or electrical department.

I'm gonna guess he went to the strathcona store, between Calgary trail and Gateway.

Also, if you're not sure if the braces will hold it, it wouldn't hurt you to put a few more on just to stabilize it... or form your own brace

Edited by thedarkstar