Leaky tank

So I decided to do a water change on my 90 gallon tank today. I noticed a small wet spot under one corner of it 2 weeks ago but I chaulked it up to sloppy water changes. Today the wet spot has grown and is now completely saturated the corner of the wood stand it is sitting on. I am thinking it is not just sloppy water changes but a leak in the corner of the tank under the gravel. What to do now??

1. I was thinking of replacing the tank with a new one, but not overly excited about blowing another couple hundred bucks on a tank.

2. I could temporarly house the fish in a couple of Rubbermaids I have here. Then I would have to empty the tank anddry it. Re-siliconing is not one of my most favorite jobs, considering I still have a 50 gallon in pieces in the garage.

What would you guys do? Replace or resilicone?

Would I have to take the entire tank apart if I resiliconed or could I just scrape/peel/curse the beads in the corners and the bottom?

Would the fish be alright in some Rubbermaids for a few days? I would put filters and heaters and air in the tubs.

Derek

Your fish should be fine in rubbermaids with filteration and heaters for 3 or 4 days. Just cut back on the feeding. As for what I would do, read this. You don't have to do the whole tank, just where the leak is.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=11713

"Yeah honey, the 90gal. was leaking and the only thing they had in stock was this 120....it was an emergency and the 120 was cheaper than the new carpet/flooring" ;)

"Yeah honey, the 90gal. was leaking and the only thing they had in stock was this 120....it was an emergency and the 120 was cheaper than the new carpet/flooring" ;)

Ya, does she know about the leak??? If you are already in hot water for that, might as well upgrade! :)

I tried to upgrade but I didn't have much to fight her with. All she had to do was mention the 4 tanks that are running in the house and the 18 tanks to be set up!

Well I went out and bought silicone and razor blades and all the fun stuff needed to scrap silicone. I got 2 big rubbermaids on the floor. Transfered heater and added air pumps. I got the AC500?(the big one) on one bin but was unable to get my Eheim canister filter to work on the other one. I did have 2 AC300 as well but they didn't fit on the lip of the second bin. But with a very sharp Henckel knife, the two filters fit!

I added water from the tank to the bins andd started to move fish around.

I finally got all the fish moved and went to find a few buckets for the gravel. When I got back, I had not one or two but three fish flopping on the floor.A quick hand scoop and they where safely back in water. So I emptied some water and through a towel over the top of the bins.

This has been a challange and I have not even started siliconing :cuss:

Derek

More updates to come and I am sure many more four letter words!!!

All she had to do was mention the 4 tanks that are running in the house and the 18 tanks to be set up!

There are only two ways to deal with this. Blackmail or bribery.

Blackmail: Start keeping track of her shoes (or handbags). Chances are there are new ones coming home all the time to join the other "absolutely essential" ones hiding in the closet.

Bribery: Tell her how great a new XXX gallon tank would be... wouldn't it be nice if she were to sit in front of it and receive lots of backrubs and/or footrubs.

Big Als has a silicon, may not actually be silicon, that they say can be put in place with standing water and is fish safe. If you know where the leak is may be worth a try.

Other wise well depends how much time and money you have, lots of time re-silicon little time more money buy new.