Live food from ponds

JORG

I don't live in the city ---but I will give you directions ---go east on 16th ave from Calgary till you hit Inverlake Rd (about 3 clicks before Chestermere turn-off ) hang north on Inverlake Rd ---take next left ---follow till you see slough right beside road (about 3 clicks}--- happy hunting-- I will be there a few times this weekend stocking up the freezer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm bringing a net and a bucket tomorrow. I'm totally gonna go there. I went out around red deer with my son one day to cach critters. We ended up with a bucket full of grass and beetles but the boy thought it was fun. Or if you would like to make a quick buck, I will be in town tomorrow morning, pm me if interested. Thanks, Jay

Edited by Jayba

Wow, I'm bringing a net and a bucket tomorrow. I'm totally gonna go there. I went out around red deer with my son one day to cach critters. We ended up with a bucket full of grass and beetles but the boy thought it was fun. Or if you would like to make a quick buck, I will be in town tomorrow morning, pm me if interested. Thanks, Jay

Sorry I'm packing it for my own use.

I'm thinking this year will be bad for mosquito's here is a pic of 2 pounds of mosquito larva (weighed without water) from a slough that never produces any significant amounts of mosquito larva

008-2.jpg

i'de be careful of polution if there are any farmers near by that spray insecticides or even the county spraying weeds or mosquitos

I'm thinking this year will be bad for mosquito's here is a pic of 2 pounds of mosquito larva (weighed without water) from a slough that never produces any significant amounts of mosquito larva

008-2.jpg

i'de be careful of polution if there are any farmers near by that spray insecticides or even the county spraying weeds or mosquitos

It's all good they haven't started spraying herbicide yet. I would be more worried about store bought frozen fish foods -- you have no control how or where they collect their stuff.

thanks for the idea. we have a lot of lakes and ponds here. I'll try that on my next day off. :)

got a question though? do you let them sit for a while to get cleaned then changed water until they are all cleaned or feed them directly?

Well if your location is correct and you live in Jasper I'm thinking your lakes and ponds are pretty clean. There probably won't be much live food in them thou as the clear pristine water won't have good nourishment for pond critters. I normally just give them a quick rinse before I feed or freeze the bugs.

008-2.jpg

:poo: blargh and to think I was going to grab a bite of lentil soup which looks strikingly similar to that.

Hmmmmm kinda getting hungry now. I wonder........

Well here are some fruits of my labour but I been lazy only packed and froze em twice

80+ packs of frozen mosquito larva the big bags contain 8 packs each-

007-2.jpg

Here are some pics of trophy sized pond critters

River shrimp or Scuds

025.jpg

Good sized Fairy shrimp

020.jpg

Hugh Daphnia - with some smaller ones mixed in

021.jpg

And a pic of one of my ponds

030-1.jpg

That is amazing Jorg. I have live food envy! haha!

I need to give that a try. Comparing to say frozen bloodworms, at about $15 per package similar to the size of those..... that is a LOT of money saved for really good fish food. Thanks for posting.