Live food from ponds

JORG

i assume its too cold up here around edmonton to start looking right?

or should i pull out the old rubber boots and go trudging through some marshes?......once it stops lightly snowing....

Edited by Sprucegruve

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the water is open you can check -- every pond produces at a different rate. the ones that completely dry up in the summer will have food available sooner.

This is a great idea! Question though:

If I'm only feeding small tetras and they aren't used to live food, will some of this get away in my tank and cause a problem?

I'm thinking having a Daphnia explosion or river shrimp taking over, maybe even hatching my own mosquitoes?

Thoughts?

I wish I had that kind of problem. The fish will clean them up pretty quick well before the critters can breed or hatch. Also there is no such thing as a fish that's not used to live food , they will scarf it down no problem

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the ponds are really starting to load up now. Got lots of daphnia and fairy shrimp yesterday afternoon in a very short time.

• 2 months later...

Great idea! Im gonna go give this a whirl tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

• 9 months later...

yup I'm scoring huge amounts of fairy shrimp ... never seen it so thick with em before.

• 1 year later...

With this warm weather I'm thinking the small ponds might start producing this weekend. I didn't freeze much last year so I'm down to 7 packs of frozen pond mix.. will update as the ponds start giving away free foods.