Live food from ponds

JORG

Hey this is a really great topic!

Keep the pictures coming and locations too, if you don't mind.

Is there a possibility of these things surviving in a home-kept pond? (even though there are fish in there)

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ponds are starting to produce early this year. I have already grabbed 4 buckets full, mostly newly hatched fairy shrimp.

not sure, haven't seen any mosquito larva yet ..mostly fairy shrimp and glass worms right now.

There's got to be something to the harder water in Alberta. Used to harvest lots of stuff from ponds there (especially around Bragg Creek). Here on Vancouver Island I can go collecting for several days in stream fed ponds and only get enough suitable critters to feed my tanks a couple times.

Stream fed ponds are not that good. Try to find still water preferably near cattle pastures, even small puddles can yield large amounts of critters.

There's got to be something to the harder water in Alberta. Used to harvest lots of stuff from ponds there (especially around Bragg Creek). Here on Vancouver Island I can go collecting for several days in stream fed ponds and only get enough suitable critters to feed my tanks a couple times.

I think the proximity to cattle ranchers and agriculture has an influence as well. The extra nitrogenous compounds leaching into these bodies of water supercharge these ecosystems.

• 6 months later...