saltwater ich---HELP

triggerhappy

rrrrrrrgh!!! when it rains it pours! my trigger tank has a bad case of ich! any ideas on getting rid of it?ive been told to use copper but i heard it might kill my live rock. would i be better off to quarentiene the rock and treat the big tank? does a uv sterilizer work? anyone with exp using a diatom filter? what has also been suggested is a 'freshwater dip'....whats the chances that would work? really need some advice please. one down......

If you can it would be better to get the trigger and any other affected fish into QT so you can medicate properly without killing off your live rock. If you do choose to QT the LR and treat the tank, be aware that the meds will still be present in the water after this period and that will affect your rock. I don't think a diatom filter would help, and I have heard conflicting info. on whether a UV sterilizer would help or not, although you could try it.

Article on marine ich

A bunch of canreef articles that might help

Freshwater dips

Another article on FW dips

Edited by sharuq1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Get a UV sterilizer and don't slack on vacuuming the substrate. The dormant stage that meds can't kill will be in the substrate and on other surfaces and the released swimmers should be easily taken care of by a UV sterilizer. The UV doesn't Kill per say but it does make it so the organism cannot reproduce. Good luck and i've heard great things about a product called Rid-Ich but i'm unsure if it's saltwater safe. If it is then i HIGHLY recommend it.

Let us know how it goes

L