29 gallon low tech planted aquarium

Guppygirl

A little about the tank so far:

used 29 gallons

Black stand

natural rounded pebble substrate

running a aqua-tech 200 canister filter

150 watt heater I assume came with the used tank

unsure as to the wattage of the light as I haven't been using it lately as it has a huge chunk out of the inside canopy-- letting water too close to the electrical wiring-will need to fix it with something.

Plants so far are

Java Moss(best baby nursery around)

Java fern

1 mystery plant (pic to come soon)

Plants coming are:

Pennywort

anubias nana

narrow leaf java fern

Philippine java fern

and some more java fern

I am going for a lower light planted so thus the Java's, thou the pennywort does better with light-hopefully with it closer to the light it will do okay. Had some in another tank but the ramshorn and pond snails totally destroyed it. Only one stick-and I mean stick was left after the snails. To my total surprise it shot out new leaves on all of its joints when left alone in a snail free tank.

Fish in the tank are

2 corydora weitzmani -I know they would like more of their kind but I haven't seen any around-got these two at the Edmonton Auction in October.

yellow guppies

a mix of blues, snakeskin, and multi colored guppies males and females. One female already had fry.

Would like to get maybe a pair or rams later on-tank is still cycling with stability.

Will add pics of the tank and fish when I locate my camera. Just hate it when you want it can can't find it, don't want it there it is--Murphy's Law :rolleyes:

Edited by Guppygirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while since I updated my tank specs-Quitting ones job and starting a cleaning company sure take up a lot of time.

So now I have the following updates:

Many, many guppy fry-seem to multiple everyday.

5+ corydora weitzmani fry growing-so glad that my brother and I only took a one day in and out of Edmonton trip total of around 9 hours in the car and only 4 hours in Edmonton. Got home just in time to save the eggs-didn't really think I had a breeding pair of corydoras. They hatched nicely and now are being fed microworms and Hikari First Bites.

I have 4 corydora Juli? Had 6 but two have since died-one this evening so sad thought it was going to make it. So sad :cry:

Added malaysian trumpet snails as the gravel is quite deep and was trapping gas.

As for plants I have added- the narrow leaf, philipine and normal java fern, lots of pennywort, and pygmy chain sword.

Will try to post a pic tomorrow of the improvements. :thumbs: