90 gal. amazon tank

loki

so after trying to sell my 90 gal. setup, no one would offer me what i wanted for it so i decided to setup again! this time i will be documenting it step by step. something i have always said i would do but never had the patience to do so. how things change when you have kids! lol

so..im starting with a standard 90 gallon tank. t5 lighting and a rena xp3 for filtration. As a lot of people, im on a budget so i have decided to buy 2 bags of target play sand from home depot, which does not look bad.

pics to come as soon as i charge the battery in my camera.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Target play sand in my tanks. One thing I wish I had thought to do first is sift it. The bag I got actually had quite a lot of gravel in it (and even a stick!). When I was first putting the sand in my 55g the gravel honestly wasn't that noticeable. Over time the gravel has worked its way to the surface and it looks pretty crappy. I have cories too and I've noticed they don't dig as much as they used to. I'll have to suck the sand+gravel out of the tank, sift it while it's wet to separate the gravel, then put the sand back. What a pain...

I imagine the gravel content is not consistent between bags so I probably just got a bad bag. But even so, if I had to do it over again I would still take the time to sift. Buy a cheap large sieve from WalMart. Make sure the mesh has holes small enough to trap the gravel. Or, get some window screen and wood posts to make a larger sieve and sift into a dry Rubbermaid bin. Once you've done that, then wash the sand before putting it in the tank.

Sifting does take time, just like washing does (and boy was my bag of sand DIRTY too!), but if you really want that smooth beach sand look in your 90g, I highly recommend it!

the sand i got was under a different name. it is target sand but now called something else. i never had a problem with the size. it all came out fairly well. but since i have changed directions with the tank and decided to get a black piranha. he will be coming on saturday and he's about 5". im so very excited to be getting him!!

im now working with speedy glass and im thinking about making a custom tank for him when he gets bigger. something in the 180 gallon range with a 40-60 gal. sump. lots of plans....just need to find the time. lol