A Fishkeeper's Guide to Pronouncing Scientific Names

hybrid

What about other words like mbuna or caeruleus and stuff like that? I think that is one word many people get wrong, but they don't list it of course.

Thanks for the link though, a couple of them I was pronouncing a bit off.

Edited by firestorm

Cool! Bookmarked it.

I've also heard that accepted Latin pronunciations vary according to region because of the pronunciation of one's mother language. And that the "correct" pronunciation is that which the most senior person uses (eg. a professor, or eminent zoologist.) :D

Cool! Bookmarked it.

I've also heard that accepted Latin pronunciations vary according to region because of the pronunciation of one's mother language. And that the "correct" pronunciation is that which the most senior person uses (eg. a professor, or eminent zoologist.) :D

My mother speaks English and she's the most senior person I know. Guess any way she pronounces it is the correct way, lol!! Myself, I figure that any latin name is either a catfish or a cichlid and the only latin name that matters is betta splendens and I can pronounce that!!(I know, I'm a brat!!)

And I thought I had a handle on those different names.... I understand why some people look at me sideways when I talk about certain spiecies...............

lol.. i felt the same way trying to pronounce "Phractocephalus Hemiopterus" for the last few years

• 5 years later...