Fish life in the 90

T Dawg

Welcome to my 90 Gallon tank journal. This is the largest tank in the house, and the most fiddled with.

Currently we have eight neon tetras, six corydoras, seven endlers, and what we believe to be 17 endler fry.

Edited by T Dawg

Currently we have eight neon tetras, six corydoras, seven endlers, and what we believe to be 17 endler fry.

I wanted to get the 90 because I was tired of counting threads when dosing the tank and hauling buckets around the house. Once the tank was ready to go I found out I was mistaken in this understanding, but the timing was great.

I had originally wanted Neon Tetras but we were steered to guppies with the 18, so this was my chance. like the small bright schooling fish in general. We trolled the LFS and we found two stores with them in stock or not in quarantine. One had extremely high prices, and the other had a few dead fish in the tank. Given the option I chose to buy all the fish that were still live from the lower cost option and ended up coming home with 10 Neon Tetras. Two died within a day, but the other eight are still doing well. For about a week they poked around the tank in little groups all on their own.

A week later on April 16 they were joined by 6 Endlers that had been in the 18 since the spring Calgary auction. We acquired 4 male endlers, 2 female endlers, and a fry. It was great fun watching the male Endlers and the Neon Tetras school. I think the Endlers thought they were Neons.

On April 24th we picked up 6 corydora should-have-written-down-typus-from-labelus from Riverfront. After they were added the Neons schooled with themselves more, but the male Endlers still join the pack from time to time.

We transfered formerly baby Endler we got at the auction over to the tank as a small female. She was eagerly welcomed by the males, and a welcome distraction by the females.

On May 13th we found a few fry in the 90. Sadly the first time they were seen was as one of them left the tank via the Python and the second fled in fear into the filter pickup. At least one remains, but there could be a second.

Also on May 13th we transfered about 16 Endler juniors into the tank, left over in the 18 from the Enders brief stay.

Edited by T Dawg

The Corydoras are the extreme fish of the group. When they are active, they are really active. A few times a week they love to gather enmasse in the bubbles near the strongest current in the tank and have their own version of the x-games. Rolls, flips, and bouncing off the glass can be witnessed for hours. We needed to move the thermometer because I was sure they were going to break it.

I joke they are going to strip the paint of the decorations because they seem to make frequent and thorough gumming of the ships. If there is not an x-game going on there is atleast one of them inching their way along the ship.

The Cory’s are the largest fish in the tank by a significant margin, but they are very gentile with the other fish. I have seen a few times where one will approach fish that are being bullied and offer them protection. They are not aggressive, they just seem to use their body to shield the fish and offer it a chance to escape.

The new feeding ring I made seems to be working well. Some fish prefer to chase the food through the current and enough escapes to make them happy.

There were a few fry that would never leave the top. Now all but one has ventured around the tank.

We found a few tiny new fry exploring the tank. Now have no idea how many fish we have.

The Endler males are getting more persistent in harassing the females. I know the S.O. is worried that many or all of the fry are girls but I hope that will better divide the time of the boys. The large female spent most of yesterday trying to hide from the gang.

We did some feed testing on Saturday. I am now comfortable saying two wafers is more than enough for the 6 corys.

Found a few more fry while doing gravel clean. So far total of 5, but who knows how many could be lurking around. Two almost visited the lawn but we stopped the syphon in time.

Corys seem sad with the reduced current flow after the spong was added to the filter pickups, and have hovered a few times where teh current used to be the strongest.

• 2 weeks later...

Ginger was having a hard time after Fred died. Lots of hiding, twitching, and other unhappy fish behavor.

We transfered her to the 90. After a few hours between hiding and darting she figured out she was the biggest fish in the tank. After that she seemed back to normal. She seems to make good use of the tank size, and I feel she is a bully. The S.O. says I am mistaken, but she has not hesitation knoking the corys or any other fish around. One of the boy endlers is quite taken with her, and I suspect she is packing so I would prefer to move her out of the tank fairly soon.

Speaking of baby fish, they seem to be everywhere you look.

The guess is the big girl endler is holding. Just what we needed, more babies. The fish seemed to be more afriad durring the water change than normal. most were hiding under the plants. 30 fish in one tight school trying to all hide under the same plant. Should have got a picture.

We did a tour of all the fish stores in Calgary on Saturday, but only came home with a few new bottles of food. We almost got some more Neon Tetra's, but I was unswayed by the reasoning between getting morefish.

The S.O. is sure Ginger is not holding, but I am not as sure. We both feel moving her back to the small tank would be mean as she seems to take full advantage of the size and is way more active. My guess is we are going to end up with some feeders.

A few of the Endlers juniors are starting to show some colours. I thought it odd it took so long, but glad to see we got a few boys in the bunch.

The Corys have still been quiet, but for the first time in a while all siz have been seen at the same time.

• 4 months later...

Ginger passed a few days ago, and shortly after we had a male endler die. So far the otos have not found the bogwood, but there is a cloud of little Endlers nipping at it.

One of the otos has a newly dammaged front fin.

The tetras have been hanging out deeper in the tank, more lower 5 inches.