My Backyard Pond/Waterfall Build

MMAX

Began building a backyard waterfall/pond. It's my first attempt at this, did a crapload of research before beginning, any comments good or bad would be appreciated...

A couple of pics of my backyard before starting

BackyardPond001.jpg

BackyardPond004.jpg

Tree at bottom of hill was removed yesterday. Picked up a 50 gal header pool with spillway. Dug a hole for the bottom sump leaving the top level with the ground. Wanted a good size drop from the header to the first mini pool, also didn't want to deal with the roots of the big popalar tree behind it.

BackyardPond005.jpg

BackyardPond006.jpg

Proposed stream course down hill

BackyardPond009.jpg

First mini pool below spillway

BackyardPond008.jpg

3 mini pools dug for a proposed 4 step waterfall into main pond

BackyardPond012.jpg

Started rockwork around header pool and digging streambed linking mini pools together

BackyardPond013.jpg

BackyardPond014.jpg

I'll keep posting as I continue with build.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks Like a fun project am looking forward to more pics----I hope you called before you started digging for gas line locations as you don't want to go :boom:

Looks Like a fun project am looking forward to more pics----I hope you called before you started digging for gas line locations as you don't want to go :boom:

First thing I did. Only lines back there was an old underground sprinkler system that didn't work anyway.

Looks like you have lots of canine assistants, the best kind. Can't wait to see how it looks finished!!

Looks like you have lots of canine assistants, the best kind. Can't wait to see how it looks finished!!

The American Bulldog is more of a hinderance than an assistant. I have to keep her tied up away from the area or I'll find holes dug where there aren't supposed to be. This project is going to take me awhile to complete so be patient. Like I said it's my first water garden and I want to do it right...the first time. Anybody have any suggestions on pump size? From the top of the hill to the bottom is about 20 feet with a rise of about 10 feet. The pond is going to be around 1200 gallons so I've been debating over a Laguna 2900gph or a 4200gph model. I want a ton of flow coming down the creek into the pond and I've heard people say not to skimp on the pump. Also any suggestions on filter systems? Skimmer, external cannister with UV sterilizer or all of the above?

• 2 weeks later...

Should be fun! Thirsty dog. Alberta 1st call is a free service :lol: I only mention that because I've found residential service line depths below a foot! Be careful digging.

:well: If you need any hints or tips on waterfall and stream building, feel free to give me a call. I have been building ponds, streams and waterfalls for about 12 years. Here is a pic of one of my old pond built about 8 years ago. It is built in the front yard. A friend of mine helped me and we did it in a weekend. 8ft x 11ft with about 5-6ft of stream split in two. The depth is about 2ft. The fish have never been removed from the pond except for a couple hours during a couple of major cleanings over the 8 years. YES, I do leave them in all winter also.

Have fun. BUT be very careful. It can be as addictive as aquariums!! :thumbs:

Henry :beer:

post-1312-1247795366_thumb.jpg

Have fun. BUT be very careful. It can be as addictive as aquariums!!

You said it!! :thumbs: