My Backyard Pond/Waterfall Build

MMAX

Totally normal. First year I ran mine, it was green until July. Right now, I net out the algae every couple of days. Put as many plants in as you can. They compete with the algae for nutrients and will eventually win. I usually stay away from chemicals myself although this year I started dosing Microblift. It contains beneficial bacteria that seeds the bio filter. Everything was late this year. My lilies only started growing about a week ago and the Marsh Marigold which usually blooms in early May still has flowers.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

After 5 years of running, decided to do a complete clean out. After catching the fish, I drained the water. Must have netted 50 pounds of crud out. Gave the liner a good cleaning with a pressure washer and refilled. Fish look good, didn't lose a single one over the winter. Had to repair the second last waterfall ledge due to a heave. This is a 2 piece slab, so chiseled it down to fit flat, re-leveled and re-siliconed. Everything up and running as of yesterday.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It's been a while since an update....After a major life change, company selling off its Red Deer area assets and a job transfer to Rainbow Lake, we've had to leave our pond behind. I still own the property and manage it as a rental. The renters enjoyed having the pond but there have been a couple of issues that have been hard to rectify living a 12 hour drive away. Came back in the spring to give the renters a brief tutorial and do a minor clean up and water change. Everything was in order until the liner sprung a leak. We think it's narrowed down to the final stream section before it empties into the pond. This winter being as long and cold as it was, totally nuked the pond. 100% winterkill of all my fish. It was sad to hear, my big koi were almost like dogs when I worked around the pond, following me around and sticking their heads out of the water. These things survived for me 8 years through some nasty winters as well. I'm pretty sure it wasn't watched closely, the hose wasn't disconnected and the pump's outlets not directed upwards to keep a hole open. Depressing to say the least. I'll be back next week to take stock and see if the stream can be repaired. In the future, when it comes time to sell, I've been entertaining the idea of filling in the pond and doing a pondless waterfall.

So sorry for your loss , hopefully your life changing event is for the better, but Rainbow Lake ? :) Hope that place has improved since I was there last ... are you there to set down new roots ? Gona start a new pond up there ? Must have been hard to leave that beautiful pond and your koi behind hopping your renters would take care of them properly .... 

Even if you go Pondless, you'll want to fix that leak in the stream.  If you can find the leak, there are patch kits that work decently - I've used the AquaScape brand ones with success.  You may be lucky and not actually have a hole in the liner - most often, the leak is a spot where the liner has fallen and water is tricking out.  Take all your edge rock off, and run the stream to see where it's getting out.