My Backyard Pond/Waterfall Build

MMAX

Installed a small pump and filter with a fountain in my header pool to keep the water agitated and clean. Threw in 3 small feeder goldfish to cycle it. Now I can hear falling water and imagine the sound of the stream as I dig. I didn't really care for the rockwork around the header, so I dismantled it and re-worked it. Didn't care for that either so it came down again. Decided that I needed more flat rocks, so out West went the wife and I to hunt for rocks once again (in my 7 days off work we must have been on at least 5 road trips in search of rocks). Here's a couple more pics.

CIMG1749.jpg

CIMG1748.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After visiting Burnco yesterday and checking out some prices on rocks, I decided to start traveling the country and stockpiling as many as I can.

Let the rock collecting begin...

And here we just brought in a backhoe and removed two loads of large rocks to build our garage... I swear our house is built on a rock quarry...

Too bad you weren't closer, we (and probably most of our neighbors) would have given you more rocks than you can handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Freakin' weather. First it's too hot to dig now it's too wet. Anyway a few more pics...

The main pond is going to be bigger than the 1200gal I originally planned. I taped off a 13' X 8" square and outlined a shape with a hose. It's probably going to be in the neighborhood of 2000-2500gal. That should give me enough room for stream overflow in the event of a power outage.

Fishing001-1.jpg

Fishing002.jpg

Picked up a few plants from Bearberry Creek. This store will see alot of my business over this build.

Fishing003.jpg

Fishing004.jpg

Gathered a pile more of flat stones and finished the edging around my header pool.

Fishing005-1.jpg

Fishing006-1.jpg

Fishing008-1.jpg

Fishing007-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it has. I've been getting a bit lazy with the picture taking but here's a few more.

Stripped the sod and started digging out my main pond

CIMG1998.jpg

Dug down to the first level, have to decide what I want the inside of the pond to look like. I'm going to put in a bog around the cut off tree stump. The pond is going to ba 4 feet deep in the middle, maybe a shallower level on the side opposite the stump and about a 3 foot area beside the bog for a few lilies with a partial planting shelf around the perimeter.

CIMG1999.jpg

CIMG2000.jpg

I'm trying to establish a colony of moss around my header pool--easier said than done. Planted in peat with loads of water and buttermilk to acidify the soil. Doesn't look as if it's going to take hold. Any moss growing experts in here?

CIMG2003.jpg

CIMG2005.jpg

Don't know where this little guy came from but he's poisonous none the less

CIMG2004.jpg

More pics to follow, might be time to buy some liner in the near future.

A few more pics...

Stripped sod for bog area

CIMG2026.jpg

Decided to go with 3 planting shelves in the corners, not going to have one in the corner left of the tree stump in the second photo.

CIMG2027.jpg

CIMG2028.jpg

Here's the 3 divisions of the pond. From left, 3 ', 4' & 2'

CIMG2029.jpg