20 gallon planted

Fishful Thinking

Here are the stats on the new tank:

Footprint: 30x12x12

Substrate: Black Sand

Lighting: three sunblaster light sticks (2 foot, 24W), 3.6 WPG

Filtration: Eheim 2213, split output

CO2: 10 pound pressurized, in Zoo Med Power sweep

Plants: Rotala macrandra, Hygrophila corymbosa ''Compact'', Anubias barteri var. nana, Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba'', Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae and Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica' and 'Oya'

Inhabitants: 29 Rummy Nose Tetras, 12 Hastatus cories, 4 ottos, 3 Amano shrimp, 2 red crystal shrimp, 4 BN (one regular and two albino long-finned), numerous Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Edited by Fishful Thinking

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! It's quite the algae farm right now, especially hair algae, which is why there haven't been any new pics for a while. I just purchased a powerhead for the CO2 deliver, 6 amano shrimp and 2 nerite snails which I am hoping will help in the fight against the algae. I also added another 6 white clouds to up the school to 12.

Edited by Fishful Thinking

Increase your KNO3 just a bit as well, and you'll have a great arsenal against that algae! :D

• 2 weeks later...

WPG, is a guideline.

It's hard to gauge with all the lights out today.

But .. T5HO with individual reflectors ... that is some powerful lighting.

It obliterates the WPG rule .. which is based off old flourescent guidelines, your 3.6 could be = 5 wpg with T5HOs.

But hell, you have pressurized CO2, your plants will love you (alot).

The WPG rule is based on normal output flourescent lighting, but I do still follow the rules when using HO lighting. Let's put it this way, I used to use 40W T12 bulbs to light my tanks - they took up a lot of space, especially when I needed multiple bulbs. Now, I have a T5HO system that has 50W bulbs in it. I can fit 4+ bulbs into the same space that 2 T12s took up.

So, the way I see it, is the new technology allows us to increase the wattage of our lighting while reducing the amount of space needed for lighting. Watts are still watts. I would still look at the tank having 3.6 WPG, putting it into what I'd call mid-high light. Definitely need to keep CO2 and ferts as constant as possible to keep algae at bay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...