Clowns tending eggs

sharuq1

I found my clowns have been tending eggs today. Looks like they have been there for a while and I just hadn't noticed. I can see little silver eyeballs. So neat!

1004525u.jpg

1004526c.jpg

Edited by sharuq1

• 2 weeks later...

That first batch hatched out and I didn't even get to see it. :( Second batch is due to hatch any day now. I haven't got any rotifers, so doubtful I can raise them at this point, but I do intend to try the raising thing eventually. If I can catch any of them this time I will try to take a pic.

Edited by sharuq1

They hatched out last night. I wasn't able to catch very many. I'm bummed that I am not set up with rotifers to be able to raise them, but maybe next time. They are about 3 mm long.

1004565g.jpg

Not so much organised as lacking in funds. Everything's in Calgary and I can't even afford the gas, lol! I will do it it eventually though, if they keep on breeding.

Wow! I just witnessed the clowns lay eggs before my eyes. I never thought I'd get to see that and the kids got a cool lesson in biology. :D I still have 8 surviving larvae alive from the last batch (so far). Wish me luck, on day 10 (or so) those are due to metamorphasis and from what I have read heavy losses will occur during that period. Even if just one made it, that would be so cool! I know, it's silly to get so excited over something so commonplace, but it's new to me. ^_^

Here's a link to a crappy video of them continuing to lay the eggs, ignore my kids it's their bedtime ;) Also ignore me saying "8 day old fry", they are only 6 days old but I had the number 8 on the brain as I had just finished explaining to the kids that the batch the clowns were laying would hatch in about eight days. I think I'm getting old. :bang1:

Clowns laying eggs

I think I have 5 or 6 babies left today, 3 have their first head stripe! I'm feeding them bbs and have started offering powdered dry foods (cyclopeeze, 'better than brine'). I've got my fingers crossed.

I honestly didn't think any of them would make it this long. I miscounted and it seems there are 7 left alive (and with stripes!) of this batch. I'm really hoping these seven will make it. It is so cute watching them. They are acting like clowns now, trying to chase each other out of their "territories". I guess the two left corners of the tank are prime spots because they keep fighting over them. Sometimes I am worried they are so busy fighting over the corners or gazing at their reflections that they aren't eating enough. :P

The 3rd batch hatched last night, but either I did a poor job collecting (likely) or this batch was a bit weaker and many, many babies died within the first hour. There are still some left though. The parent may need a more varied diet. Maybe this should be in the breeders section, hehe. :o It's kinda unlikely I will be doing this on a regular basis though, it is a lot of work.

Anyways, enough rambling. I made a photobucket album for the babies.

Baby Clowns

14dayoldfry4.jpg

Edited by sharuq1