growing to size of tank?

joeysgreen

Hello everyone, I'm not a superbly active member of this forum and hope this isn't a regularly stirred topic but I have a question regarding my son's goldfish.

I know that not every species has growth limited by the size of the enclosure but IME goldfish or feeder comets definately are. My son recently got an already established aquarium setup (20gallon I think) with 11 goldfish in it. I am curious to see the current view on the ethics of keeping a fish small to suite an enclosure. Do many fish species suscribe to this trait? Are the fish harmed, suffer, or have reduced lifespans because of such? Do they breed at this miniscule size? Breeding isn't an endeaver by any means, but my curiousity around all facets of this issue is growing.

Thanks kindly for your words of wisdom :)

Ian

When fish are kept in tanks that are too small for them they become stunted. Stunted fish, as mentioned, become deformed (including internally), and I've seen it claimed that these fish also release "excess" (unusable) growth hormones into the tank water which can be harmful to tankmates.

All organisms are susceptible to stunting.

Google stunted fish and you will get lots of results (including scientific studies) showing why it's a bad idea.

Edited by Shai

Time for a little anthropomorphization here: Could you live in one room with 11 people? Would you be harmed, suffer, or have reduced lifespans because of such? Would you breed?

Does not stop african cichlids...

Can you really compare a Kia and a Mercedes? No. African's also live in colonies on rocks out in the lake, goldfish don't lol.

Thanks guys, I got what I need and will reassess my son's enclosure.

Ian

Time for a little anthropomorphization here: Could you live in one room with 11 people? Would you be harmed, suffer, or have reduced lifespans because of such? Would you breed?

Does not stop african cichlids...

Wouldn't stop people either.

As mentioned, fish become stunted, a lot of times they cannot produce a slime coat well (their immune system) thus are more susceptible to disease. There lifespan is drastically lowered by this. Mine as well invest in a bigger tank or pond and you'll save money keeping these guys for years and years rather then a few months and replacing them.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I now have some ammo to use against my parents and my dads outdated belief that my Africans will always be okay in the 30 gallon tank they are in(i have an 80 gallon i'm working hard to get fixed to move them over) Now to convince them about my Koi too.

Thanks

Good luck

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I now have some ammo to use against my parents and my dads outdated belief that my Africans will always be okay in the 30 gallon tank they are in(i have an 80 gallon i'm working hard to get fixed to move them over) Now to convince them about my Koi too.

Thanks

Good luck

Well you are poisoning your fish. I always tell people if you don't have the tanks for the fish, don't keep em. And your Koi should be around 10" by now, so you are messing with it's growth rate.