snowflake eels

Brian G

• 10 months later...

Im going to be putting a snowflake as my first fish in my tank,they can live for 20 plus years and i hope he does live that long.My tank is also a 120 gallon and im going to go with a lion fish as well and some corals and other fishy. I dont know about keeping two,but I have talk to lots of people who have a very nice tank with a snowflake eel one guy told me it had been a year and even his cleaner shrimp was still alive, I hope it works out because snowflakes are my favorite,but I want lots of other stuff too.sarcastic.gif

You can keep them together, they are peaceful toward conspecifics and those fish you mentioned too. They will be fine in that size tank as long as the live rock is healthy and well established, but a 180 would be better. If the live rock dies off or there just isn't enough I suggest adding a very good biological filter to handle the bio-load of the growing fish and their huge demand for food. Also eels, all morays in general, have a voracious feeding response and once the smell of food hits their olfactory they go balistic and can bite other fish and human hands in a frenzy to get a mouth full. When a 3 foot moray clamps down on ones finger the teeth go to the bone and it hurts bad! I know, I've experienced it. I strongly suggest you always target feed the Snowflakes first using a feeding stick.

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Of course, you'll need lots and lots of live rocks. There was once a Snowflake Eel tank in display back in Ontario and the rocks were practically against the glasses! They only had the Snowflake eels in that tank and they were feeding with a feeding stick, so I second Evolution!

Edited by AvianAquatics