Coolwater Community (30 Gallon)

Slough Shark

Well, I usually do get tired of having the same setup for too long. So quite a while ago I retired the Livingstone Falls Biotope. While it was still running, however, I managed to order in some Iowa Darters, from the states. Interestingly this is a species I have dealt with here in the wild before, so I was not a stranger to their behaviour.

Let me say, I highly recommend this little fish. Essentially the North American equivalent to the Asian Goby, darters are a very diverse and vibrantly coloured group of native fishes. All the time, I had had my weather loaches in the 30 Gallon with the [now sold] Buffalohead Cichlids. Weather Loaches come from habitats with essentially the same water parameters and temperature as the darters, and actually co-exist quite well together.

So now I want to turn this tank into a full-on community, with coldwater species from around the northern hemisphere (and some others too). Gladly, there are some fish in other tropical regions that inhabit high-mountain lakes and streams. One of which is the Honduran Red Point. Plus I'm taking into account the adaptability of certain species, pretty sure most tetras can thrive in coldwater as well.

Stocking:

2x Misgurnis anguillicaudatus

16x Etheostoma exile

To add:

1x Amatitlania siquia

13x Corydoras aenus

20x Some Schooling Species

5x Botia striata (Possibly)

Filtration:

Fluval 4

Aquaclear 70

To add:

Rena XP2

Maybe a Hydor Koralia

I think I want to recreate a coolwater creek habitat, which is unchanged the world over. These fishes all exist in this biotope, so it should be nice. I want to add some hillstream loaches to clean algae if I do go this route. I want to have a few more plants than I have now (Pothos floating), probably just Java fern and moss.

I'm excited to have this setup set up! Should be a nice, colourful tank. Comments and criticism is welcome!

Thanks for lookin,

Taylor

Edited by Slough Shark

In that last pic you can see how the Darter positions it's pelvic fins in very much the same shape as a goby's modified pelvic fins (that form the sucker). This helps them to perch on the bottom, especially helpful adaptation for the fast-flowing streams they are most commonly found inhabiting.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, so today I went to BA's and picked up:

3 Garra rufa

15 Zebra Danios

1 Wood Shrimp

10 Glass Shrimp

1 Albino BNP

Wanted to pick up the new filter, but they were out of stock. Should have got a powerhead while I was there too. The new algae eaters should have clean the place up soon and I will post up a full tank shot. I'll take some pics of the new fish too, once they have their colours back.

Also, when I was looking in the glass shrimp tank I saw a couple of other North American species with them. There was a few darters and one Lucania goodei swimming with the shrimp. They must get their glass shrimp ordered from Florida. I asked if I could buy the fish but they said no :grr:

Edited by Slough Shark

Hopefully I can get back to BA's soon to grab that filter and maybe a powerhead (hydor koralia?) and maybe, just maybe they will have some Hillstream Loaches too. Here's a couple new pics:

"One-eyed Wilhem" The only named fish I have, you can see his deformed eye here.

Wilhelmbugg.jpg

One of the larger Zebra Danios.

ZebraDaniobugg.jpg