Odd behavior after water change

gdcox76

So I am seeing some strange behavior from my shrimp(Amano) and my corys after a water change. Doesn't seem to matter how much water gets changed as soon as the new water starts getting added the shrimp come swarming out from where ever they have been hiding and swim around the tank doing laps it seems. The corys get very inactive, find a plant have a sit down and just stay there for about an hour or more.

Should I be concerned? I have not lost anyone ever in a water change, but the behavior is consistent each water change. The temperature does not change during a water change I have monitored that and been careful of it fluctuating.

Edited by gdcox76

I'm not using any conditioners I never have on the smaller cichlid tank we have. It is a 135 gallon tank and the water change is done via a python hose to the tap.

Werner you may be right about the pH the tap water is about 7.5 and the pH in the tank sits at about 6.5. Is that much of a swing going to harm them in any way? The difference is probably only half that amount or less as I would never be changing more than 50% of the water.

A small change in PH could be the cause but i'm more inclined to say it's the lack of water conditioner. The shrimp might be expained by the fact that you are adding fresh water to the tank and shrimp thrive in clean water.

Good luck

L

How long after the change fo they calm down?

If after the fill stops they are back to normal they can be shy. The length of agitiation may point to something.

The shrimp start going crazy almost immediately after the water starts to go into the tank. They cruise around the tank out in the open for about an hour after the water starts getting put in the tank and then go back to their usual hidy holes. The corys they just seem to go completely still or at least most of them I have 8 and one seems to be completely unaffected and goes about his business as usual the others park themselves on the gravel or a plant and stay that way for at least an hour. Then gradually they just go about their usual routine.

I'm not using any conditioners I never have on the smaller cichlid tank we have. It is a 135 gallon tank and the water change is done via a python hose to the tap.

You should be using a water conditioner to remove the chlorine. Calgary (Airdre's water supplier) doesn't use chloramines, but you still need to deal with the chlorine, either by aging your water or using a conditioner like Prime, etc.

I don't think the shrimp are reacting to ph changes because they react soo fast. If you can, get a jug of Distilled water Float a jug of it in the tank and then when it's temp is equal to the tanks then add it to the water and see if the shrimp react and the cories too. If the cories don't go to gravel so to say then your best not to worry about the PH and get some Prime to add with water changes from now on. I'm thinking the shrimp will most likely go crazy anyway and not to worry too much.

Good luck

L

P.S. the clocest thing i can compare chlorine and fish to is how Carbon Monoxide affects us. In small amounts it causes headaches and long term causes health issues. In larger amounts headaches become life threatening illness that if you don't get out soon it will kill you. I'm not sure but if Airdre's water supplier is Calgary then the chlorine in the water will dicipate and the Cories recover. If it was Edmonton water then i doubt they'd survive.

Edited by Ishkabod

This is completely normal for shrimp. I'm sure it's mostly the males that are most active, as with many aquarium inhabitants, a WC often incites breeding activity. I too have experienced the same behavior with Corys. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

I have heard from many experienced aquarist that don't use any water conditioners for chlorinated water (ie, chlorine-treated water, not chloraminie) for up to 25% WC.

The shrimp start going crazy almost immediately after the water starts to go into the tank. They cruise around the tank out in the open for about an hour after the water starts getting put in the tank and then go back to their usual hidy holes. The corys they just seem to go completely still or at least most of them I have 8 and one seems to be completely unaffected and goes about his business as usual the others park themselves on the gravel or a plant and stay that way for at least an hour. Then gradually they just go about their usual routine.

With our corys , I find if the new water temp is a degree or two below the existing tank temp and I have the water well defused (Python flow restriction valve set to about ¾ to cause a broken fan spray) they will play in the new water. If the water is the same temp they tend to just sit still or hide during the fill then go back to normal soon after the fill stops. If the flow from the python is too smooth and the chlorine does not get agitated out the cories tend to sit until the chlorine dissipates and that can take an hour or so unless a dechlorinator is used.

Edited by T Dawg

Well I used 2 caps of Prime with the water change this time and everyone behaved normal so I guess it has to be the chlorine. I have never had an issue with the smaller tank but I guess the increased amount of water must make a difference. I figured 20% of a 33 gallon would make the same difference as 20% of the 135 gallon. Guess I need to buy some more Prime.

Edited by gdcox76

Well I used 2 caps of Prime with the water change this time and everyone behaved normal so I guess it has to be the chlorine. I have never had an issue with the smaller tank but I guess the increased amount of water must make a difference. I figured 20% of a 33 gallon would make the same difference as 20% of the 135 gallon. Guess I need to buy some more Prime.

Glad you were able to pin it down. Got to like happy fish.

It could be as simple as entry angle of the water creating less splashing in the big tank. Back before I figured out fish die anyway I did way too much testing with angle of hose, lid position, and amount of agitation for best dispersal of chlorine using only the agitation of the incoming water. I was amazed how small changes made a big difference.