29 Gallon Project (first ever, please comment!)

strayner

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good so far, so any luck grabbing any moss ?

Also java moss trees are harder to maintain, as they grow all over , instead of a set direction. I think xmas moss looks the best for trees.

Thanks.

Yeah, I have a bag of java moss that I haven't decided to do with yet, it's sitting at the top of the tank :)

I'll give it a try with the tree, just for experience sake.

Just tested for Nitrites and I'm seeing trace amounts! < 0.25 ppm, but definitely present.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After a few months, some algae problems, some fish deaths, re-homing and new arrivals, this is what my tank currently looks like!

It's in a bit of a transition from low-tech to high tech, As I will have pressurized CO2, 5 wpg with a metal halide and will be dosing EI soon!

Overview of the tank:

29719755.jpg

Some of my aquascaping

29825711.jpg

My krib being shy!

58662069.jpg

Oto and ghost shrimp on my melon sword:

54950201.jpg

Shrimp and a Val shoot :)

73925849.jpg

If you ramp up the light, CO2 and ferts, you'll want to add a bunch of fast-growing plants - mainly stem plants. Otherwise, you could have another algae battle on your hands.

If you ramp up the light, CO2 and ferts, you'll want to add a bunch of fast-growing plants - mainly stem plants. Otherwise, you could have another algae battle on your hands.

Yeah, I think I will grab a bunch of H. polysperma to start off with to just stabilize things

I have a bunch of dwarf hair grass (thinning it out tonight) that I think would fill in that left front corner if you want to give it a shot, I can also throw in a bunch of Trumpet Snails which love the algae,...LMK and I'll send a baggy for you with the CO2 for Tuesday...

malaysian_trumpet_snail3.jpg

Eleocharis_parvula_1.jpg

Edited by cale262

Those crypts will start growing low to the ground when you get your lights. I would suggest that you acclimatize your plants to the new lights. Raise it up higher and then slowly lower it down week by week. Also monitor your water temperature as it will get hot.

Tank is looking very nice BTW. If you fill the back up with high growing stems, it will look really good. Hygrophilia Polysperma will get quite large (2 -3 inches wide) and might look out of place in your tank. What about Cabomba, Ludwigia or Rotala Rotundifolia?

I'd love that Brian! Thank you!

Good idea Kronos. I will do that. I might alternate my MH and t5ho fixture also.

I was thinking of some Rotala! I will likely pick up some plants from Tuan (TNT aquatica).