For those who think Excel killed your fish

Baos

I'd just like to collect some data on this subject as I may be on to something. Anyways if this is you could you please list what other chemicals or water parameters you may have had in your tank at the same time(within 2 day period). Also filtration, plants, and if the plants died off a bit or did well.

Edited by Baos

Never had an issue with Excel although it does kill valisnaria if you use too much.

Ok, I've seen this complaint a few times maybe on other boards. Anyways since I don't see anyone else with the same problem I'll have to draw a conclusion based on my own expirience. Straight from seachem prime and excel both have the ability to reduce oxygen levels. The fact is my oxygen levels were already low. It's possible that some dieing algae also added to additional oxygen reduction. I'll probably attempt this product at my next water change and expect no further issues as I've handled my oxygen deficiency problem.

The only think Excel has killed for me is Valisneria spp. and Riccia fluitans. Some said it might prevent duckween from growing but mine didn't seem read that report.