DIY Aquarium sprinkler system

Baos

I came up with this idea to combat my constant oxygen problem. It's overkill, it works, and it's cheap.

I'm not so great with artwork but if anyone wishing to copy this needs more detail I'll be happy to provide it.

Ideas for improvement

1) you could buy more of the expensive hose and put a computer heat sync on it to chill the water just a bit. It could simulate cooler rain to help induce spawning.

2) One could also try hooking it to a canisters return line.

Current problems

1) a sponge is required on the pump or you have to clean the sprinklers often by shoving a pin through them to clean out gunk.

2) Anywhere your tank has an open space it will splash water out. I used saran wrap to temporarily seal the holes until I get new glass cut.

parts list

1 x aluminum bar the length of your tank

4 x plastic tie wraps

1 x 3/4 inch cheap hydroponics shop hose the length of your tank roughly. cut to fit.

1 x 3/4 inch elbow

1 x 3/4 inch expensive bendable hydroponics hose (89 cents for 1 foot)

1 x water pump mine does 300gph and has more than enough pressure

6 x plastic sprinklers from hydroponics shop ($1.20 each) Hint: You could match this to the power of your pump

sprinkler2.jpg

sprinkler1.jpg

sprinkler3.jpg

And as requested a video of the sprinkler in action

th_sprinkler.jpg

I understand in some parts it's a constant rain that doesn't stop. Anyways it's main purpose is very rich oxygen waters.

As for the cool rain effect the plastic will insulate so I would have to move it through an aluminum pipe which could then be cooled by a modified mini fridge or computer heat syncs.

What about placing the heat sync on a timer then so you still have that rich oxygen water but can still simulate that natural experience?

If you raised the water level would it limit the spray area of the sprinklers reducing the need for a complete cover of the set-up?

Edited by Jaykit

What about placing the heat sync on a timer then so you still have that rich oxygen water but can still simulate that natural experience?

If you raised the water level would it limit the spray area of the sprinklers reducing the need for a complete cover of the set-up?

The sprinkler heads are pretty powerful. It seems to make lots of splashing at any water level unless you submerge them. I however like seeing the top of the water and will probably lower my water level even more in the future and perhaps start planting emerged plants on driftwood.

As for timers I don't really understand where we would be going with them. Unless you wanted to simulate a different type of environment. My goal at the moment has simply been for oxygen.