120 Gal Planted

jvision

I miss my plants! So, I've sold off most all of my Tangs and am going back to a somewhat high tech Planted tank.

Day 1

120gal002.jpg

120gal004.jpg

I built the rock wall today, placing some Java fern and Bolbitus in between rocks; 3 of the rocks have a hairnet holding Riccia fluitans. Pressurised CO2, dry ferts. Lighting has yet to be upgraded at only 100W of T5HO. Fishies are few, so far: 6 Synodontis petricola, 10 juvie F1 Bristlenose and thier dad.

The plan is to add a school of Rainbows - haven't kept them on the 20yrs I've been keeping fish!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm only looking for 1 or 2 more plants, and will let the rest grow in. I'm getting an 8-bulb light (tho, I'll probalby only run 6) next Sunday, so I'm guessing the growth will really take off from there. I'll try to remember to update next week, before the light, and then a week after getting the light.

:thumbs: Very Nice! :thumbs:

What could be more fun than setting up a planted tank ? :hey:

I am curious, what are the dimensions of the aquarium ? It looks very generous front to back.

You mentioned Java fern , Bolbitus and Riccia fluitans - what else do we see in there?

Also, do have any specific plants in mind to round it out?

looks great Jason. Maybe we could colaberate on the lights as i intend to make a canopy for the new comm tank?

I am curious, what are the dimensions of the aquarium ? It looks very generous front to back.

You mentioned Java fern , Bolbitus and Riccia fluitans - what else do we see in there?

The tank is a 120 gal - 4'L x 2'w x 2'h. I love it! The onl thing that would make it better would be 6 or 8' long!

In the back right corner, I have a stand of Crypt. balansae, and just beside and in front of it, I have a couple big logs with loads of Java fern, Anubias barteri & A. nana. To the left of the rock wall is a stand of Tiger Val, and a couple tiny sprigs of Val. nana. Around the "Fishead" rock (right in front of the rock wall) is E. tennelus. I also have a couple plants given to me by Tom - I don't remember what they're called (Do you remember what you gave me, Tom?). Oh, and I just picked up a Flame Sword from NC - it's just in from the Crypt.

Maybe the only plant I really want to add is a Reg Tiger Lotus. I might see if I can snag a flame moss at the auction, but that may be it... oh, and I may end up replacing the Pygmy Chain Sword with Glossostigma when I get the lights next Sunday.

looks great Jason. Maybe we could colaberate on the lights as i intend to make a canopy for the new comm tank?

Sounds like a good idea, Bill! If we can make a canopy that looks even half as good as your stand, I think it'd be awesome!

It's going to look good when that rock wall grows in. Lots of depth. Can you provide more info on your lighting setup and how you like it on the >24" height.

Right now, it's just a 2x50W T5HO fixture from AG. I've had the fixture for about 3yrs, and think it's running the "white" bulbs from AG. This fixture will be moving downstairs, as I am making changes in the fishroom, as well, and will require some good lighting. The new fixture will have 8x50W T5HO, which is a bit much IMO, but it was a great deal. I'll probably only run 6 bulbs. I'm not sure what bulbs are coming with the new fixture - probably quite blue, as it's coming from a SW guy - but, I'll be trying to keep it white (maybe a combo of red, blue, white).

The 24" hight is great - I quite enjoy the depth. 24" used to be a problem back in the day when the only way to get light to the bottom was MH, but with the new T5HO lights, it's easy and affordible.

Edited by jvision

no problem, you are kind. will begin preparation today.

The tank is a 120 gal - 4'L x 2'w x 2'h. I love it! The onl thing that would make it better would be 6 or 8' long!

In the back right corner, I have a stand of Crypt. balansae, and just beside and in front of it, I have a couple big logs with loads of Java fern, Anubias barteri & A. nana. To the left of the rock wall is a stand of Tiger Val, and a couple tiny sprigs of Val. nana. Around the "Fishead" rock (right in front of the rock wall) is E. tennelus. I also have a couple plants given to me by Tom - I don't remember what they're called (Do you remember what you gave me, Tom?). Oh, and I just picked up a Flame Sword from NC - it's just in from the Crypt.

Maybe the only plant I really want to add is a Reg Tiger Lotus. I might see if I can snag a flame moss at the auction, but that may be it... oh, and I may end up replacing the Pygmy Chain Sword with Glossostigma when I get the lights next Sunday.

Sounds like a good idea, Bill! If we can make a canopy that looks even half as good as your stand, I think it'd be awesome!

It's going to look good when that rock wall grows in. Lots of depth. Can you provide more info on your lighting setup and how you like it on the >24" height.

Right now, it's just a 2x50W T5HO fixture from AG. I've had the fixture for about 3yrs, and think it's running the "white" bulbs from AG. This fixture will be moving downstairs, as I am making changes in the fishroom, as well, and will require some good lighting. The new fixture will have 8x50W T5HO, which is a bit much IMO, but it was a great deal. I'll probably only run 6 bulbs. I'm not sure what bulbs are coming with the new fixture - probably quite blue, as it's coming from a SW guy - but, I'll be trying to keep it white (maybe a combo of red, blue, white).

The 24" hight is great - I quite enjoy the depth. 24" used to be a problem back in the day when the only way to get light to the bottom was MH, but with the new T5HO lights, it's easy and affordible.

Here are some more pix w. the upgraded light. The 8-bulb light fell thru, so I went and baught a 4-bulb Sun Blaster kit (4 x 54W).

120gal005.jpg

120gal007.jpg

The stem plants aren't staying - I'm keeping them for my sister 'til the auction. I don't really like stems b/c of the continuous trimming. I will post some new pix after the auction, and more plants have been added.