120 Gal Planted

jvision

Hey Jason.Tanks looking good.Had some 26" crypt balanse in my planted tank before I went back to tangs.Thanks again for the paras.I had 6 t5 ho on my 24" deep tank and found glosso to be either a hit or a miss.Might have a hard time rooting them with your cats and plecos.What about Pogostemon helferi{downoi} for the foreground.Pisces in calgary has lots in there planted show tanks and they look great.Cheers Rob

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The P. helferi is definitely a possibility. The Gloss. will root fine, I'll be moving some to a 10 gal as well. I just picked up some Flame and Christmas moss and glued it to a couple of rocks - will post pics this week.

Some pics of the tank from Thursday (Apr. 1 '10)

120gal014.jpg

120gal013.jpg

Right now, it's just a 2x50W T5HO fixture from AG. I've had the fixture for about 3yrs, and think it's running the "white" bulbs from AG. This fixture will be moving downstairs, as I am making changes in the fishroom, as well, and will require some good lighting. The new fixture will have 8x50W T5HO, which is a bit much IMO, but it was a great deal. I'll probably only run 6 bulbs. I'm not sure what bulbs are coming with the new fixture - probably quite blue, as it's coming from a SW guy - but, I'll be trying to keep it white (maybe a combo of red, blue, white).

How high up do you have your lights mounted? I purchased the Tek 4 x 54 watt T5HO for my 18" wide and it's definitely not enough light. When I raise it up all the way (yes I got those pricey legs too) it doesn't seem to hit the carpet with as much intensity. It's like I have my T12/8s on again sitting right on the glass top. But then again, my plants are always trimmed 3/4 of the way up and the lights are mounted right in the middle.

Can you snap a picture of your tank overall?

If you don't like the SW light combo, you can always replace it with some over priced Giesemanns. :smokey:

Where can we find more info on your fishroom?

Right now, the lights are sitting on 1/2" legs - that's until I get my canopy built (probably one more week). Right now, I'm running 2 6400K and 1 10,000K (one ballast crapped out today :() I'm thinking adding another 10,000K will be the right mix. I'm also thinking of adding a light or two once the canopy is built.

As for the fishroom, it's just a makeshift area in the basement about 8'x5'. On one wall is a 2x33 gal system w. a 20gal sump, there's a 66gal in there and a rack that has a 15gal, 2 or 3 10s (depending on what I've got going) and a 29 gal. I could probably throw another 33 under the 66 if needbe.

• 4 months later...

I took down the rock wall a while ago. I was trying to catch fish, and it was just imposible w. the rocks in there. Tomorrow is a total demolition to add an extra feature. Here's what it looks like today:

110gal002.jpg

110gal003.jpg

As you can see it's quite overgrown and those lotus plants are taking over the front!

It's an Under Gravel Jet system. If you can see the left side of my tank is REALLY bushy - that's where the CO2 comes in. My plan is to inject the CO2 into the UGJ system, having it come out in 6 different parts throughout the tank. I'll be documenting the progress today with my camera.

The canopy was built by my friend My3KidsDad (who has offered a few times on this site to build for cost... or a little more for time :)). So far, I've put 5 54W T5HOs... I'm thinking of adding a 6th this week.

When I have it off in an hour or so, I'll take some shots. Just going to do some work, then go play! :)

OK, here's a shot of the inside of the canopy

UGJInstall002.jpg

And, here's a piece of wood w. about 25 gallons of Java fern on it - that's a 30 gal tote.

UGJInstall003.jpg

Today, I took EVERYTHING out of the tank and installed the UGJ. Here's the progress:

Here's the UGJ in the tank

UGJInstall004.jpg

UGJInstall005.jpg

While I was pulling the sand out, I thought that it really wasn't enough for some of these pigs that I keep (a few different swords and a bunch of Crypts), so I added a bag of Quickrete Playsand

UGJInstall006.jpg

Then put my black sand back on top, and figured that I'd test the system out as I filled the tank. Here you can see H2O flowing in thru the jets

UGJInstall008.jpg

My wife suprised me this afternoon, saying we were having dinner guests at 6, so the last bit was rushed, and didn't get the desired result, but it'll do for today. I still have a couple more days off, so maybe on the way home from the hospital, I'll stop and pick up some goodies.

Here are the 2 jets in the front

UGJInstall009.jpg

UGJInstall010.jpg

And a couple FT shots

UGJInstall011.jpg

UGJInstall012.jpg

I took out about 10 gal of Java fern, a tonne of Hygro. polysperma and about 10 Green Tiger Lotus... Want some?