Need advice and input on new tank

searay

Hey everyone.As some of you might have seen I am selling off some stuff to go towards a new Tank.Enantiopus sp. Kilesa has been on my wish list for a long time and I see Jack Spencer has them.Was hopeing to get in on a group order in the near future.Also was thinking about cyprichromis utinta to go with them.I have room in my office for a 4 or 5 foot tank. 90 or 120? Got a quote from fish4fun on a 120 48x24x24 with glass tops and stand for 435.00.Filters? See a lot of fans of the fx5.Pets and ponds has a sale on for 348.99 with full media and 500ml prime or I was thinking their eheim 2217 184.99 and 2215 144.99 both with media for a total of 330.00.They ship for free over 200.00.Is it better to have two so you can clean one at a time? Is this too much filtration? What kind of sand should I use and color for best show? Number of fish? Other tankmates if any? Lights? Decor? All advice and input would be great.Pretty big investment for me so any ideas to keep cost reasonable is good too.Cheers Rob

I would personally go with 2 filters, just in case one quits for some reason. I don't believe in too much filtration, I have a fluval 404 and a fluval 305 on a 45 gallon right now and it's been that way for several months. I always over filter, just in case.

Substrate is a personal choice...I personally like all white or all black...though many people go for the river rock look and it looks good too. Think about the colors that you want to pop and whether they'll look good with your substrate. Also maybe conisder your background, 'cause if you go all black, and you have black in your fish...they might disappear!! LOL j/k Your fish might look really good on a black background, it would show the subtle colors really nicely.

If you're going to do a 90 or 120, you're going to be able to put a good group of these fish in. They'll probably feel really safe and sound with 6-8 of their own kind. Other tankmates are probably other Tangs that are relatively peaceful, maybe that cling more to the bottom than the open water? Just a thought anyhow.

Decor, I'd probably do mostly sand, maybe a few tall rocks/piles, maybe some vals in the corners or along the back just so some can hide if they're so inclined. Lighting doesn't have to be fancy IMO, but you also want to see your fish.

Anyhow, i'm jealous...lol But then again, I do have 4 pretty cool fish to look at everyday! Yay! Thanks! :smokey:

I would also go with two filters.

I really like the white and black mixed together. It brings out the colors on your fish and looks sharp together. I also like simple black... the black to me is what brings out the fishes true beauty...JMO..

I obtained my sand from mops, it is a cichlid formula and has live bacteria on it, to help with the cycling of a new tank... They have other formula's there as well that also have live bacteria on them...

I think you can get a better deal on 2 X 2217 locally.

Big Al's and Pisces have a deal.

Also, if you order from big als' online.ca you can get 15% off plus free shipping:

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32931

also, for a heater...I really like my titanium heaters. I think ocean city (16th Ave NW) sells a 300 watt titanium for $60.00

PS: I have several eheims (2215, 2217, 2317, 2229) I like them all except for the 2215...I find it is very weak in comparison to the others, It's for sale if your really interested...LOL

Edited by fish4fun

Kilesa & cyps would do best in a 6ft tank (125 gallon)or even better a 6ft 180 gallon, the cyps will appreciate the swimming room, and the length will allow more than 1 male Kilesa to breed, and some room for the sub dom males to retreat from the dom males. If 5ft is the max for space, get a 5ft'er. Black background would be my choice, and natural play sand for substrate. (the Kilesa will require sand to build their nests, and they like to sift for food) I would go minimal with decor, perhaps a few large rocks to break up the line of sight between males, and 2 filters is always better than just one. (I would go for two 2217's) I wouldn't use an Fx5 in this type of set up, IMO too much turbulence for the cyps. If you want your Kilesa to look their best, and breed, I would keep this set up to the 2 species. If you are buying unsexed juvies get enough to hopefully end up with a decent m/f ratio down the road.

HTH

have you tried out kensfish.com? they have everything for dirt cheap! 250w eheim jager heaters for $20 and shipping is really cheap! if i was you i'd go with two filters instead of one, and check out his website pretty sure you can get those for cheaper there. But ya reasoning for 2 filters? something could happen then you always have a back up :)

Thanks RD for the heads up on the Kilesa.Gave them a call and their wild for 69.00.If I was set up already I probally would be driving there right now.Gonna take your advice and go for a 5ft 120gal with two 2217.Cheers Rob