Levamisol hydrochloride

RDFISHGUY

I bought some fish from a guy on here and they all seemed a little thin. I did some research on a loach forum and its, likely ,skinny loach disease- ie worms. I have 2 tanks now infected and levamisol hydrochloride is supposed to be the best treatment. If anyone has a better or alternate idea I'd love to hear it. If anyone knows where I can get this stuff, even better.

I have a lot of $$$ tied up in these 2 tanks and can't afford to mess around. I have a new tank coming soon and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

I really should've quarantined these guys but I don't have unlimited space to set up quarantine tanks for all my fish. I may set up a tank in my garage after this little incident, however.

Here's the link to the loach site:

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=16733

I really can't stress enough the importance of quarantine. I really hope someone can help me out.

If you are buying fish from Iamfrontosa check them out, in their tanks ,beforehand.

Edited by RDFISHGUY

Gobies et al has some as does Jayba. They don't have enough to treat my tanks so I am trying to get some elsewhere. Perhaps they have enough for you guys.

I bought mine off an online Vet medicine store,,, A lil goes along ways....

http://www.agrilabs.com/locator.aspx this is the brand name..... I will see if I can find where I bought it from

try fendbendazole/flubendazole though it works best when administered in food.

the big benefit to levamisole is it works as a bath..but remember it must be dosed at least twice.

levimisole is not discontinued but rather some ingredient is unavailable ...or not able to pass regulations..

so they are not currently producing it

Edited by Moutain Dew

At the price he charges I could buy a new stingray!

Its the price the product demands. Drop the water line by half and you can treat the same fish with %50 less Meds.

fendbendazole/flubendazole though it works best when administered in food.

I had a 30 gallon with live bearers eat literally half a tube of flubendazole. Enough product to de-worm a 500 kilogram horse !!

I eventually cured them with the first treatment of levamisol.

You can get some from Canadian Aquatics. We've got an order coming into Edmonton on May 11.

I decided to try the jungle meds food. I had tried it before on some african cichlids-it didn't work because they wouldn't eat it but the loaches ate it so that's a bonus. I'm not entirely sure they have the worms as they seem to be getting thicker- perhaps they were just severely underfed. At least I found a more affordable treatment. Hopefully it all works out - a quarantine tank is in the works.