(Found+Updates)Lf Dog/cat

Baos

Doctor says it would be good for me to get a pet. The landlords say it's ok. I am a fan of Maine coon, husky, german shepherd, beagle. Preferably a house trained cat/dog. Just thought I'd post this. I'm in no rush.

Edited by Baos

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why only pick one, shoot get a shepherd pup and a cat...

I have tons of cats and some good dogs.. you would think I would be healthy as a horse...oh yeah got some of them too...

There was a main coon cross offered for sale not long ago on kijiji.

There are also lots of shepherd pups on there right now.

Husky's will wonder if not kept in a fenced yard...

Never had Beagle so no idea what they are like.

I got the Maddie cat from the SPCA and we couldn't be happier. She was 2 years old when I got her and settled in right away. She took 5 minutes to inspect my place(and the fish). Then she decided "I'd do" and went to sleep. So try the humane societies too!!

Yes please try to adopt. There are alot of good dogs out there that need a home. I will never buy another dog, there is no point when dogs are be putting down all the time bc ppl dont want them. Look at rescue groups all around alberta and BC. They will often meet you halfway if the dogs going to a good home. Save a life!The dog will never forget that you did.

I got my dog from an organization called paws and claws in Red Deer, they go up to reserves, grab the pups and spay the mothers. Lots of different types of mutts. My big guy Loki looks like a Yellow Lab Husky cross. Awesome dog. They only charge a nominal fee. This helps pay to have the program run, all dogs are fostered in peoples homes, so they get to know them, so If your not in a hurry you can find a good match for your personality and home. Here is a link http://www.pawsandclawsanimalrescue.ca/ Good luck

Maybe I'll stay away from the huskies then. Can add terrier to the list. I love smart animals. I had a terrier mix large poodle growing up that was incredibly intelligent. I have an almost completely fenced yard that can be finished in a hurry.

Don't think I'll be going to any pet stores. My wife doesn't agree with how the animals are treated in most of them. Also I find most prices for animals in pet stores to be ridiculous.

Huskies were bred to run, and thats what theyll do ... :P

As for the cat at petsmart, they provide care and housing for cats needing homes, they arent for sale for profit like at a PJ's pet centre..

Don't think I'll be going to any pet stores. My wife doesn't agree with how the animals are treated in most of them. Also I find most prices for animals in pet stores to be ridiculous.

The cats up for adoption at Petsmart locations are from local charities.

Look on Kijiji calgary, look under the pets section, sub section to "give or donate", there are a ton of dogs and cats people are trying to rehome for free. Unbeleivable how many people think animals are disposable when they no longer have the time for them.

If you do buy one off the internet then i'd HIGHLY reccomend meeting the owner at their home to see the mother of the pup or kitten. The reason for this is that there are puppy mills out there if you haven't allready seen them on the news and unless you see the home and mother in person you can never be sure that you didn't support an illeagal operation. As for the dogs in PJ's pets well as someone once told me... no respectable breeder will ever sell their dogs to a pet store(it's the last resort for our fish too) so where do they get these pets.

Petsmart does one really wonderful thing and that is they don't sell dogs or cats. I had asked a while back about it and i can't remember what they told me but from what i gather it's not just a come in and oooohhh i like that kitten and walk out and leave process. Not sure what is involved but personally your best bet is most likely to adopt from a shelter and you can even get an idea about a dogs personality before you take them home if you volunteer to walk him or her.

Good luck

L

Oh and if you buy off of kijiji see if the poster has other ad's, some puppy mills have several ad's.

I purchased off of kijiji a wonderful great pyr pup, she said he is purebred, had him breed dna'd they say he is purebred, but he has color... but OMG he is wonderful. We have two toy poodles, one great pyr purebred adult dog and one great pyr/newf/border collie x and that is a fantastic smart as a whip dog too.

We live on a farm and we have trained our poodles to get on the deck when there is a car and they do not come down until they here the click of the car being put into park.

I trained them like that because my 13 year old hines 57 was run over.. he was going blind and his hearing was impared but I swore that it would never happen again....

Shepherds are fantastic guard dogs and great family pets. Very smart too.

I wont adopt from the SPCA or puppy mills. The reason why I wont from the SPCA is because I did that once, I adopted a healer cross, but there was something wrong with her... I think she was beat so much that she was so nervous she couldn't stop puking or having diahhrea, the spca would not help me with her and in the end I put her down. I felt so bad for her and could not imagine how she felt always being sick. I know she was beat because when you would go to pet her she would totally cower... she slept with me in my bed and I tried so hard with her... all tests that I had down came back negative... I was young and didn't know what else to try.