Weird Question

KimW

Ok well, prior to me actually stocking my 60G with my own selection of fish. I was given a female African Cichlid. I was told she was an "Ice Blue" but everyone whom i've said that to says no way. Now I have since had to get rid of her (brought her to Big Als) as she became a "Maneater" in my tank and was way too overly aggressive and killed anything and everything that went into the tank.

Now here's my dilema, she bred prior to me having her and dropped her lil baby fishies in my tank once i did have her. I do know for fact that she mated with a Hornet(bumblebee) Cichlid, but now because i am not absolutely sure of what she was i have no idea what to call the babies LOL. The babies do however look very much like the Hornet (Bumblebee) Cichlid.

She was completely brown from tip to tail, with darker brown vertical stripes on her body, and VERY aggressive, and about 2-3" in length. (is it possible that she was a female bumblebee?) I am so unsure LOL

Any ideas as to what she was? I have been looking for pictures that look similar to her and have found absolutely nothing so far.

She could very well have been an hybrid as well. I bought some "Ice Blue" cichlids at an auction a while back, and they were definitely hybrids. I ended up moving them to the 135 @ work w. a couple oscars....

Your fry are definitely hybrids. Don't try to sell them as anything other than hybrids. Culling is a good idea, but keeping them is also an option if you like them.

Well either way i think i will be keeping them. I never feel good about culling fishies....feel like i'm being mean, and always feel bad. My last batch of guppies i had to cull 3 due to major deformities and felt horrible afterwards LOL.

Hahah yeah me too, I feel better if i just feed them to my other fish but I dont like looking! Baby peacocks are so cute! Its hard to do. Thats my compressiceps jobs in my tanks, to take care of the fry. Usually one will be smart enough to survive though and I let it stay if thats the case.

• 2 months later...

I know how you feel about culling. I have been trying to get rid of my guppy's about 2 dozen for the last 2 months (crap do they bred) the local High School finally took them. (Kind of feel a little bad about doing this, really don't think they will live long there. The biology teacher really does not know how to keep fish. Oh well not my problem any more.) I currently have 4 Electric Yellows holding. (usually are all gone in a couple of days after they are released by the mother).

Oh man do I feel bad for the guppies. My grade 10 science teacher had a fish tank in the room and it was sitting near the window (HUGE temp fluxs), is infected with algae, no filter for 2 month and not even the hardy MTS or pond snails survived in that tank! At the end of the semester we took water from the tank and tried to look for "bugs" in the tank and I was like "what the heck?! Your temp flux killed everything in there!" I really hope the guppies will have a better fate :(

Hey Kim,

I understand your concern about culling......never a pleasant task.

If you are looking for a humane way to do it, you can simply put the babies in a container of water, add a drop or two of clove oil, cover and put in the freezer.

This way the clove oil and temperature drop slow the metabolism to the point that the fish are "asleep" before they freeze.

This is what I do for all of my Africans.

• 2 months later...

Well VERY glad i decided to keep the hybrids. Found out exactly that the father was a Bumblebee and the mother an Ice Blue, and well long story short the males have started coloring up and this is what I have gotten

IMG_0442.jpg

and a closeup

IMG_0445.jpg

Very nice looking fishies :) I am quite happy!

• 2 months later...