20 Gallon - Neolamprologus Multifasciatus

Wackinator

My second biggest tank, the 20 gallon is now home to a colony of Multies. I first heard about this fish on this site by various members who were doing their best to help me find a dwarf cichlid that would be happy in a 10 gallon. It took over 6 months before I noticed fry as they were quite young when I first got them but once they started there was no stop.

I started enjoying the colony more and more and when my 20 gallon tank was bombed by my mistakes and every fish in it except for one betta survived I decided to move the colony into a bigger tank so that they have more room to expand. Unfortunately there was a huge fry die off, but luckily the bigger fry survived. Due to my heater breaking the tank has been without one for the last month or so but I just put in a heater tonight. Even without the heater I noticed a small group tiny new fry in the tank so something must be going right.

Right now there are 2 males from what I can tell, one Dominant and the one that has the other half of the tank, there are also 2 females, one big and one small, which makes it really odd that I think most the fry came from the small fry.

Apart from the 4 adults there must be at least a dozen to 20 fry, some of the biggest ones have moved into their own shells and are big as mine were when I got them. A couple of the biggest ones have taken shells close to the second male which makes me think they are females and it will eventually lead to 2 small colonies.

The Filtration of this tank is in the process of being changed, from an Aquaclear mini (apparently now known as Aquaclear 20) to an Aquaclear 200. Is that filtration good enough? Or do I need another upgrade?

I have added tons of pictures, I never show off my tanks as normally they suck and this one is no different but the fish themselves deserve to be shown off. My photography skills also suck which is why I hesitate putting pictures up here but try to enjoy.

Any questions, comments, or criticizes are welcome. :)

S3000015.jpg

S3000011.jpg

S3000007.jpg

S3000005.jpg

S3000004.jpg

S3000001.jpg

02043.jpg

02042.jpg

02040.jpg

02037.jpg

Edited by Wackinator

Hey blackbelt that is awesome. Is this the 20 long that you were looking for? I really like this setup. It looks nice and clean. Your photographic skills are really good. It's really neat to see a fry poking out here and there. Good job.

Thanks Kronosdelsol :) Its not a 20 long, its a 20 high but thanks, its really hard to keep this tank setup the way I want cuz if the fish dont like it they just change it themselves, I have to clean the front of the tank soon as thats where they piled up all the sand they dug out, theres 5 inches of sand blocking the view in some parts.

Thanks again but my photography skills suck, this is the first time Ive had reasonable pictures which is why I put them up lol. I wish I could have gotten better pictures of the fry but my camera's zoom feature sucks.

I see you have been fully bitten by the sheelie bug! Nice job fish look happy n healthy

Yeah JLake, Ive gotten the shellie bug bad >.> Have thought multiple times about removing the mbuna from my 35 gallon and switching to fairy cichlids, ocellatus and multies lol. Thank you and yeah apart from the smallest fries dying off I haven't had any losses :D

OK... now I need to get some shellies back! Their 15g is sad w/o them!

• 2 months later...

As some of you know, I don't have this tank anymore, I sold the whole setup to finaddict to raise money for flood relief in Pakistan. Really miss this tank and the fish and will be getting some in the future if I have the chance. If not the best then one of the best tanks I ever had!

Hey cate, oh really? That was you?

Those black occies were all from JLake!

They were really fascinating but I needed that tank and maybe its a good thing I got rid of them cuz soon after that tank started leaking >.>

Edited by Wackinator