Thinking about container ponds?

Wackinator

As am I not allowed any more tanks into the house I had been thinking about container or tub ponds and not going to lie but am very surprised I got the green light for it, though there are requirements, it has to be on a budget and not too big.

The size I want is at least a 10-20 gallon, of course bigger would be better but it will probably be too expensive. Does anyone know a place where I can get cheap half barrels? as I know a lot of people have small ponds in them and I like the look of them.

I have never thought I would be able to have a pond and was unfamiliar with the idea of container ponds and now that I am allowed I dont know where to begin.

What kind of filtration does it need? I dont know if Ill be able to attach a filter to it outside, so I'll prolly put a LOT of plants in them.

The fish I want to put in them is my goldfish that I got from a fellow AA member but Im sure it would love to go to a bigger body of water even if its in a huge bucket. Wouldn't the goldfish eat the plants though?

Ah I realize everything sounds all jumbled right now and I apologize but any help is accepted.

Thanks

I've kept fish in rubbermaid containers that I picked up from SuperStore or Canadian Tire when they were on sale. Usually temporary homes while I move tanks or whatnot, but I have used them as homes for FW and SW fish for extended periods (over a month) when moving. I am currently using a 20gal rubbermaid container as a sump for a 2x 33gal system.

Edited by jvision

I've kept fish in rubbermaid containers that I picked up from SuperStore or Canadian Tire when they were on sale. Usually temporary homes while I move tanks or whatnot, but I have used them as homes for FW and SW fish for extended periods (over a month) when moving. I am currently using a 20gal rubbermaid container as a sump for a 2x 33gal system.

I have thought about rubbermaid container that I can get from walmart or something but wouldnt it warp and I want to have this as more than just a temporary thing. Would it actually work? Ive heard that the container will warp and just break apart soon.

you can look into a used rain barrel if you want something with harder plastic.

I could look into rain barrels, they are cheap and everything but extremely tall and not as good looking as half barrels.

But thanks

if you go with rubbermaid brand and not one of the cheap knock-offs you won't have issues with warping/breaking. rubbermaid rocks! i use the newer dark green ones all the time for temporary fish housing, plant organizing, storing of fishy stuff.......

if you plan to fill the rubbermaid more than three quarters i would suggest snugging some bunjee cords tightly around it to keep it from bowing too much.

You could cut the rain barrel in 1/2 - then you'd have the same size as the 1/2 barrels you're seeing around... just in blue, or black instead of oak. If you're worried about the rubbermaids, screw together a 2x4 frame that comes up 2/3 of the container. My 20 gal sump does bow a bit. It runs about 2/3 full on a fairly consistant basis and has for 6 months without any signs of weakness.

if you go with rubbermaid brand and not one of the cheap knock-offs you won't have issues with warping/breaking. rubbermaid rocks! i use the newer dark green ones all the time for temporary fish housing, plant organizing, storing of fishy stuff.......

if you plan to fill the rubbermaid more than three quarters i would suggest snugging some bunjee cords tightly around it to keep it from bowing too much.

Hmm more food for thought, Ill keep an eye out for them and if they are to my liking, sounds like a cheap easy idea.

Thanks

You could cut the rain barrel in 1/2 - then you'd have the same size as the 1/2 barrels you're seeing around... just in blue, or black instead of oak. If you're worried about the rubbermaids, screw together a 2x4 frame that comes up 2/3 of the container. My 20 gal sump does bow a bit. It runs about 2/3 full on a fairly consistant basis and has for 6 months without any signs of weakness.

Hey Jvision, yeah I have thought about making a frame for the container if I went with rubbermaid, and lately that idea is more and more appealing as I can get a huge rubbermaid, enough for 2-3 small goldfish, for pretty cheap.

And I have no clue how I would cut through a rain barrel but I am not really inclined to them as I dont like the way they look, I was hoping for a half barrel planter because I think they look pretty awesome, and just because I am looking for a cheap small pond, I dont think my parents would appreciate an eye sore in the back yard but thanks for the ideas!

You could cut the rain barrel in 1/2 - then you'd have the same size as the 1/2 barrels you're seeing around

Exactly what I meant. Calgary Plastics

Thanks for the link Kronosdelsol, rain barrels are just not what I am looking for as I think as a pond it would be an eye sore but I will look into it if nothing else seems viable. Just one question, how would I cut a rain barrel in half?

Thanks again!

question, how would I cut a rain barrel in half?

Skill-saw

This is a pond built from a plastic laundry sink :shock: - don't laugh yet it gets better. :blush:

1" PVC pipe snugs into the drainhole of the sink. It surounded by a bottom sieved 2" PVC pipe - Viola instant herbie. The bottom ouside drain terminates via a bicycle tyre-tube into the super-store bin sump.

The sink could be painted or bricked in for looks.

Here is a photo showing the slate light hood I built

P1170534.jpg

You know what Jewels, I can't even laugh about your laundry sink tank! I was at work the other day at a station where we have a huge laundry looking sink in one of the bays and I spent 5 mintues look and checking the thing out to see if it would be suitable for a tank. I definetly seen no issues what so ever I mean it's already drilled in a sense for your filtration haha.

Good News - Bad News scenerio

Bad news, I have to put back the pond project for a month or something...depends on how things go.

Good News, when I do start the project, I'll be looking into a stock tank and it will be at least a 50 gallon, though Im hoping for a 100 gallon :smokey:

with a container that big, I might have to leave the pond outside even in the winter, so Ill need a heater for it >.> the expenses keep on adding up.

The only reason I cannot get the pond right away is because of financial problems, I have other priorities before this and I havent been working for a long time so that I could focus on school instead.

I'll prolly end up putting some multie fry for sale so keep an eye out or lemme know if your interested.

Ill end up doing a DIY filter, and just curious but how many goldfish would I be able to put in the 50 and 100 gallon? Its possible that I'll trade in the fish for smaller fish if it grows too big.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: The Stock tank idea has been put off for next year at the earliest as I don't think its the best time for me to start something that big. But to house my goldfish i have got a 20-25 gallon 'pond'. I will be starting a thread for that so please check it out as I have a couple of questions.

Thanks