Potassium permanganate

gobies et al

I have found Potassium permanganate to be a useful tool in for the management of bacteria and external parasites. It has the advantages of bleach but is readily neutralized without the lingering chlorine! I would disinfect my lined pond with it as part of my spring cleaning before filling and restocking. It also came in handy when the large Koi became itchy and were starting to jump. One carefully administered dip treatment and all was well.

My main frustration was having to hunt for the research material before each use to confirm doses. The information was out there, but scattered.

The common uses and doses for Potassium permanganate are included. Use carefully!

Potassium permanganate (KMnO4)

Disclaimer: This is a compilation of information found in articles and books. I cannot verify the accuracy for dosing or which species may be sensitive. It is a valuable tool for the aquarist but extreme caution must be applied!

Potassium permanganate is useful in aquaculture as a plant dip, surface disinfectant, anti-parasite treatment, and assist with treating bacterial gill disease and ulcers. It is used by shrimp farmers to clear water of dissolved organics and bacteria.

Although potassium permanganate is a strong chemical, its use may be indicated for use:

- when time is of the essence, i.e. treating an ulcer and antibiotic bath would be too slow

- to decrease parasite load when being moved from/to summer/winter pond

- in treating individual fish

- when the parasite not killed by gentler methods, e.g. salt

- in disinfecting pond or tank

Caution: Use with extreme caution. Since it is an oxidizing agent, too strong a solution or prolonged contact is harmful and can kill what you are trying to treat, including plants and invertebrates. High doses can cause tissue corrosion.

Potassium permanganate is

- a caustic alkali

- an oxidizing agent

- neutralized by sunlight

- neutralized by hydrogen peroxide (H202)

- neutralized by chlorine

- neutralized by water conditioner agents (chlorine removers)

- ineffective in green water

Potassium permanganate can

- kill bacterial, fungal, and many parasitic agents, but is not viricidal

- kill snails

- oxidize organics leaving clearer water

- disinfect surface wounds such as bacterial gill disease and ulcers

Some uses of potassium permanganate:

1. Plant dip (to kill snails and assist in removing organic matter)

Caution - some plants, such as vallisneria, are sensitive and will melt

- dip - weak solution (pale pink) for several minutes then rinse in running water

- bath - 10 mg/L for 10 minutes

2. Surface disinfectant

- 10 mg/L with a 30 - 60 minute contact time

- 500 mg/L with a 30 second contact time

3. Anti-parasite treatment (for adult stages Argulus, Ergrsilus and juvenile stages of most crustacean parasites)

- dip #1 - 1 gm/5 L for 2.5 minutes - set up 2 tubs with pond water, 1 with accurate amount of Potassium permanganate added and other aerated for recovery. Monitor fish carefully. Remove fish before time up if rolls over or at the end of treatment to aerated recovery tank. Return to pond after recovery.

- dip #2 - 1 gm/10 L for 5 to 8 minutes

- short bath - 10-20 mg/L for 30 minutes, may need to be repeated

- long bath - 2 mg/L for minimum 4 hours

4. Pond disinfectant - Actual treatment rates in ponds will vary depending on the amount of organic matter, or organic load, in the water. See reference material to determine how to calculate amount of Potassium permanganate required based on response

- 2 mg/L for minimum 8 hours

- 10 mg/L for a 10-minute tank treatment

5. Ulcer treatment (decreases bacteria count parasite load in water; parasites are a common problem when ulcer present and complicates healing)

- long bath - 2 mg/L for 8 hours, every other day for total of 3 treatments

Cautions

- do not add crystals directly to tanks/ponds containing fish, use a stock solution then disperse through water to be treated

- store stock solutions in the dark

- some fish sensitive to KMnO4, especially in alkaline water conditions

- some species known to be sensitive can usually be treated at 1/2 strength with caution, include Lake Malawi cichlids,Rudd, Orfe, Piranhas, scaleless fish, marine invertebrates

- non-selective, will kill good and bad bacteria in filter, is reportedly safe at 2 mg/L

- do not mix with formalin (forms toxic formaldehyde gas)

- stains skin and clothing (wear protective gear)

- low oxygen can occur after treatment, be prepared to aerate

How to make a stock solution:

- #1 - mix 1 teaspoon (~ 7 gm)KMnO4 in 700 ml of warm water =~10 mg/ml -use 1 ml for each Imperial gallon to give 2.2 mg/L -use 1ml for each US gallon to give ~2.5 mg/L

- #2 - add 28.5 gm of Potassium permanganate to 1 gallon of distilled water, mix thoroughly

- delivers dose of 1 mg/L when administered at 1 drop /gallon

- 2 drops per gallon yields concentration of 2 mg/L

- or 1 ml(20 drops in 1 ml) in 10 gallons is 2 mg/L

Solutions must be stored in cool dark locations. Shake well before using.

References/Further Reading:

Steve Hickling (Editor), Mick Martin (Editor), Bernice Brewster (Editor), Koi: Living Jewels of the Orient, Barron's Educational Series Inc, 2002.

Dr Chris Andrews, Adrian Exell, and Dr Neville Carrington, Manual of Fish Health, Firefly Books Ltd, 2003

Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4), http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/potper.shtml

Potassium permanganate effective, but potentially dangerous treatment for parasites, by FishDoc, Home of Fish Health http://web.archive.org/web/20030413141539/http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/potassium+permanganate.htm

Potassium Permanganate Treatment by Wayne Barker, http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-forum/7554-do-you-use-potassium-permanganate-7.html

Use of Potassium Permanganate to Control External Infections of Ornamental Fish, Ruth Francis-Floyd and RuthEllen Klinger, University of Florida http://www.aquanic.org/species/ornamentals/documents/permanganate.pdf

The Use of Potassium Permanganate in Fish Florida Ponds, Andrew M. Lazur, University of Potassium permanganate (KMnO4) http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA032

Edited by gobies et al

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

In a few years ago I was looking for the PP. Also I was looking for internet which stores do carry the PP.

My LFS are do not know about that. They had never carry the PP.

My location Pharmacy stores said that the PP is old fashion. PP is good for kill fugal feet or toes so they do not carry the PP anymore.

That is a good idea I will check with my water treatment supplies sellers.

Call around to any ones in your area, anywhere with a pharmacy. You can also try places that sell water treatment supplies in your area. You might be to get a lead at your LFS also.

Edited by vicdiscus

• 7 years later...