DIY LED Moonlight (pic heavy)

Cgy_Betta_Guy

Figured I would unveil something I did recently that actually looks pretty neat. It has actually been in the works since last October but I finally got this mounted on my canopies and it looks good so I thought I would share with everyone on here in case anyone wanted to use my idea. I figure it would look great on both salt and fresh water tanks.

Some of you may have seen the little LED light strip that I made for my Fluval Edge tank from another thread I started a while back. That was made with the white version of the light strips I have used for these 2 projects.

LED moonlighting Light strip version 1 Blue

I wanted to get a nice blue LED moonlight for my tanks and after the failure of a couple of my Hydor Ario products after very short periods of use (I might have to do a product review). I definitely wanted to find a better alternative and maybe innovate a little. I frequent a site on the net that sells all sorts of cheap goodies out of Hong Kong and I saw these on there one day and figured they would be perfect for my needs. I have ordered lots of things from them and it does take a few weeks for things to arrive as it is coming from overseas but shipping is free and thus far I have had no issues with customs. All prices on the site are in USD. I know what everyone is thinking... made in china stuff is crap but cheap is good in my opinion so I am not going to complain.

Here are the items that I used.

Blue only LED automotive lightstrip that is water proof. Basically a flexible strip with surface mount LEDs and components soldered onto it and wrapped in a vinyl coating. The ends are sealed so no water penetration can occur.

IMG_0128.jpg

and a closer look at the LED emitters

IMG_0129.jpg

it has 2 leads that need to be connected to a 12V power source

IMG_0130.jpg

12V power source

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Its pretty easy to connect the 2 items:

cutting the end off the power adaptor (there is another alternative that you will see in version 2).

IMG_0136.jpg

The LED strip itself can be cut to length if needed... they are broken into groups of 3 LEDs. Basically cut at where the scissors are shown on the strip and you have another length that you can attach wires to. Cutting would require sealing the end with silicon to make it water proof again. In my case I needed to take 3 groups in order for it to fit under my canopy or 9 emitters in total.

IMG_0131.jpg

with the connector from the adapter cut off its a simple task to solder the ends together. This was just a quick test of the light strip so I just wrapped the wires together for now. LED lights will only work in 1 direction so you need to make sure its wired correctly or you will get no light.

IMG_0137.jpg

This is what ya get

IMG_0138.jpg

and with the lights off it looks pretty bright

IMG_0139.jpg

test mounting in my 58 Gallon tank where I just tied it onto the fluorescent tube just to see what it would look like before mounting it permanently on my canopy using silicon.

IMG_0142.jpg

I decided to do something different in my 58 gallon so decided to put this into my 31 Gallon tank. Just mounted it with some silicon and its positioned in front of the frontmost light tube and just behind the lid door.

IMG_0390.jpg

in my case I decided that I wanted to protect the wiring from getting water on them from condensation or fish splashing. Water tends to degrade things and since the plastics on the wiring for this LED are highly unlikely to be of very good quality I threaded the wiring through a length of silicon air tubing, soldered and shrink tubed the connection and siliconed it tight at the base of the light strip. A couple of dollops of silicone to hold the tubing up out of the water and out the back and we are done.

IMG_0391.jpg

and the finished product!

IMG_0393.jpg

Here is what I used for the blue version.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16210

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15989

LED moonlighting Light strip version 2 Multiple colors

After playing around with the blue strip I moved onto using the RGB version of the strip. Its more expensive but figured it would be a bit more versatile. Looks exactly the same as the Blue light strip except it has 4 wires attached, one negative and each of the other three works a specific diode in each of the emitters. Each of these diodes emits either red, green or blue so its important to connect all 3 wires to the power source. It also comes with its own controller (makes the lights flash through different color configurations) but the controller is pretty useless for what I need it for. Some people might want to make a fish night club... I dont. Here is a picture from the Fluval strip.. you can see the 3 dots in each of the circles

IMG_0384.jpg

In this project I wanted the ability to turn each of the individual diodes in the emitters separately so I needed to attach clicky switches to each of the leads. I also added one to overall power in order to turn the strip on and off completely with one click.

IMG_0421.jpg

I also decided that instead of cutting the end off the power adaptor and soldering it directly to the leads I would just solder a female connector to the unit instead. This way I can disconnect it easily when I am taking the canopy off the tank or connect it to a replacement adaptor really easily. The power adaptor male connection is on the top, the extra wire with female connector is on the bottom.

IMG_0423.jpg

and connected to the power adaptor

IMG_0422.jpg

Like the blue version, this strip was also mounted using silicon and silicon tubing wrapped around the leads from the light strip.

Here is what the finished product looks like in the tank. Each color is achieved by turning on or off the individual lead for the diodes in the light emitters using the clicky switches I attached.

Here is the tank with the stock canopy T8 lights

IMG_0401.jpg

I can now pick a color but I just use white as shown in this pic.

IMG_0394.jpg

The other colors

Red

IMG_0395.jpg

Blue

IMG_0396.jpg

Green

IMG_0397.jpg

Turquoise

IMG_0398.jpg

Yellow

IMG_0399.jpg

Purple

IMG_0400.jpg

Here are the parts used for version 2

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16868

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15989

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28980

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5602

The total consumption for the LED light strips using my Kill-O-Watt meter was approximately 0.1 kwh which works out to a penny a day to run the light strip for 10 hours. It comes on 3 hours before and stays on 3 hours after the canopy lights and are also on for a 4 hour period in the middle of when my main lights are on as supplemental lighting to the stock canopy T8 lights. Whether the supplemental lighting actually helps remains to be seen.

Well there it is! Feel free to use the idea in your tanks and I welcome you to post a follow up pic of your moonlight in operation too!

Just an FYI, I just recently got another strip of the white only strip and it came with its own adhesive back.

Oh I should also mention that these strips do seem to emit a faint plastic/vinyl odor for the first little while which I believe is from the vinyl coating heating up from the emitters. The smell seems to have gone away after a couple months though and I dont think there is any toxic effects to the fish since I have had no losses since putting them in.

And some other quick pics of when I had the blue one test mounted in my 58 gallon tank.

my rams were freaking out a bit at the blue light for some reason

IMG_0146.jpg

decent color through out the tank

IMG_0147.jpg

plants closed up for the night

IMG_0148.jpg

These light strips are a meter long or 39 -40 inches and can be cut down by groups of 3 emitters on the strip. Anything cut off can also be used for lighting if you attach a power source to them and just need to water proof them again by slapping some silicon on the cuts. Each group of 3 emitters is about 4 inches long.

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy