55G Planted.

Morphine

Hey all finally decided to do my 55G Planted Journal!!! I've got plants from many different places, Thanks to Blake, Jason, and Raj!! Anyways I've played around with it alot and I'm in the process of getting Pressurized CO2 But this is what it looks like now!

Lighting:

4 - 39W T5 Bulbs

Substrate:

Playsand

Plants: ? (If you see anything you reconize please PM me and post haha)

Hornwort

Fish:

3 Angelfish

2 Green Cories

2 Juvi Cories

3 Orange Tetras

3 Otto's

Future Fauna - Neons, 5 BN's, 10 more Cories!

post-4756-128474548784_thumb.jpg

post-4756-128474543506_thumb.jpg

post-4756-128474554761_thumb.jpg

post-4756-128474567084_thumb.jpg

2 of the angels that I believe are pairing off!

I know that it's a little messy in there with the plants, but as soon as they take off, I"m going to do some rearranging, I need to move the Horn and the other in the middle to the middle back and move the vals I have stretching across just to the corner! There is work for another day though.

Edited by Morphine

The stem plant with the 'normal leaves' is Hygrophila polysperma. The plant that the Otto is on is Anubias barteri. The sword looks like Echinodorus amazonicus, but it could be E. bleheri, too. The plant in the front left looks like Pogostemon helferi.

Have plants, have fun!!!:thumbs:

Hey,

Sherry - Any suggestions how I can get the backround black without having to drain and move the tank, I was meaning to do it before I moved the tank but I was a little to excited and just skipped that step! Also thanks for the reply, Any suggestions on plants to add.

Jason - Thanks for the names since I got most of the plants apart from the Hornwort and Sword from you, I figured you might know a few haha. Also I have the lotus that you gave me behind the Hornwort and sword I don't believe it's growing up but it's growing out I think, it has gotten alot wider since I put it in there I think i'm going to move it into the 20G right away anyways I forgot about it until a few nights ago when I trimmed the ones in front. Also the lotus does it feed from the substrate or water column? should I root tab it? I would love to see it thrive it's such a nice plant.

Also does anyone know how I can duplicate my sword? I know that it could send plantlet to the top of the tank or it also sprouts a sister plant right from the stem, I believe I was reading today I'm going to check when I get home since i've had it and if you seen the pics from when I first got it it's tripled in size, I didn't notice that until I seen a pic from a month ago on my iPhone.

Pointed at both of you or anyone else, I haven't seen my vals send out any runners yet and I don't think they are doing to great leaves arn't as green as I would like them, could this be possibly by burying the rhizome? I tried to pull it up a little I guess I'll check how good it has rooted tonight as well.

I've also got a plant from blake and double the vals in the corner from Raj, both of which I'm hoping do very well! I will post pics again in about a week or so. I'm planning of taking pics of my 20G planted as well when I get home and update that in my journal.

Sherry - Any suggestions how I can get the backround black without having to drain and move the tank, I was meaning to do it before I moved the tank but I was a little to excited and just skipped that step! Also thanks for the reply, Any suggestions on plants to add.

I have seen Sherry's tanks and what she has is pretty neat. She has velcro tabs/stickers on the back of the tank and then she has cut out a piece of black cloth and attached it to the velcro tabs. This way, the black cloth stays taut and tight, and is minimal work. I am sure Sherry will let you know what kind of cloth she has.

Pointed at both of you or anyone else, I haven't seen my vals send out any runners yet and I don't think they are doing to great leaves arn't as green as I would like them, could this be possibly by burying the rhizome? I tried to pull it up a little I guess I'll check how good it has rooted tonight as well.

Vals will definitely send out runners, just give them some time. However, are you confusing this with anything else, as vals don't have rhizomes..Anubias has.. Vals should be planted deeply, and after that it will grow well (if conditions are right) and send out runners.

Swords will propogate when they're ready, either by splitting at the corm or sending a flower stalk to the surface (the flowers will turn into plantlets). You probably got hte P. helferi from Blake b/c that's where I got mine (and AvianAquatics). All plants will feed from the water column, but the lotus will do well with some substrate ferts - swords, lotus, Val and Crypts are all heavy root feeders. I've also found that Anubias will take off once their roots get into the substrate, but still do well on WC ferts (WC = water column, not water change).

yep, sticky back velcro strip along the top of the tank rim, and two tabs of same velcro, one on each back bottom corner. when you stop by on wednesday you'll see the way i have it set up. makes changing the background as easy as pie, just pick a different colour fabric! i set my backings up when my tanks were up, filled, backed up close to a wall, and running.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

• 6 months later...

I am viewing members tanks to get ideas. I REALLY like how you placed your rocks. I like how you built up that one area, I am going to steal this idea as I have a mini water lily that has to be placed higher in the tank. Right now it is sitting in a lizard food dish supported by three bricks lol. The bricks add so much to the over all effect ... not! I must go and morph (pun intended) my aquascape. Thanks for the great ideas!

haha,

Well this was when I first setup my planted tank I think almost a year ago now, it doesn't look anything like that anymore!!! Actually speaking you kno that I gutted this tank and still trying to get rid of plants haha! I'm planning on re vamping my tank on wednesday taking a nice trip down to Big Al's and Aqua giant home depot. I got rid off all the fish except for 5 - BN's and my Breeding Angels!!

My Broken Bar cichlids are both holding ATM.

I also have a planted Cherry Shrimp Tank hehe, which I'm going to take pictures of and post on the site!

Anyways more to come on an updated post most liking thursday if I find everytihing I need!