What is this cichlid and male or female please!

jld

You never know it could even be a hybrid unless you know for sure from the breeder. You say you want an all male tank which is cool. I have one (90gal) except 1 female red peacock. Everything was fine for over a year but then last weekend whendoing some cleaning I noticed a baby swimming around ......now I know who the mother is , but not the father........I am hoping it is the sunburstpeacock. Since then i have seen 3 total. Even though they are hybrids they might be nice. One little girl and the party begins ....go figure.

I am not ever looking at getting babies in my tank soo I am all for hybreds if they are beautiful... so next time you get fry from your peacock female, grow them out and I will buy one of the males when they color up,lol!

You never know it could even be a hybrid unless you know for sure from the breeder. You say you want an all male tank which is cool. I have one (90gal) except 1 female red peacock. Everything was fine for over a year but then last weekend whendoing some cleaning I noticed a baby swimming around ......now I know who the mother is , but not the father........I am hoping it is the sunburstpeacock. Since then i have seen 3 total. Even though they are hybrids they might be nice. One little girl and the party begins ....go figure.

If people are saying it's a male b/c of the egg spots, that's not a sure-shot diagnosis. Often females will have egg spots. Unfortuneately, it's not an mbuna I'm familiar with, so I can't really help with the diagnosis. Venting is really the only sure way to sex mbuna - you can look up pics on Google. Males have a very small vent, while females will have a somewhat larger vent (females who've spawned are easy to tell).