New Rack

Oleg

Hi All,

this is going to be my third return into the hobby and i would like to start with rack this time.

I have found a good rack that may be a good candidate to be used, but did not find anyone who may have used it in the past or heard anything.

The rack is Whalen Industrial Rack- 76.875" x 24" x 72" (w x d x h)

• Welded end frames provide strength
  • Each shelf holds 2,000 lbs. (evenly distributed)
  • Protective powder-coated steel
  • 4 adjustable shelves with wire decks
  • Link additional racks to create industrial-sized storage solution
  • Single tool assembly

I'm going to put one 180 gal (72x24x24) on the middle level, two 65 gal (35x24x18) on the top level and the sump 110 Gal (60x24x18) on the lower level.

You help is much appreciated.

thanks.

I have about 40 tanks set up on them. They're nice to look at, but once they have more than 1200 lbs per shelf on them they start to sag in the middle.Mine have been set up about 3 months, I actually took the first couple of sections back down & reinforced them & put them back up.I did the rest as I set them up. It didn't make a huge difference with the sag in the middle but between the 3/4" plywood & the 1" styrofoam I used the tanks aren't having any issues. The steel mesh shelves that come with that stuff went into a dumpster.If your planning on working any amount with your tanks don't go more than 2 levels high. Just my 2 cents of advice though.

I have about 40 tanks set up on them. They're nice to look at, but once they have more than 1200 lbs per shelf on them they start to sag in the middle.Mine have been set up about 3 months, I actually took the first couple of sections back down & reinforced them & put them back up.I did the rest as I set them up. It didn't make a huge difference with the sag in the middle but between the 3/4" plywood & the 1" styrofoam I used the tanks aren't having any issues. The steel mesh shelves that come with that stuff went into a dumpster.If your planning on working any amount with your tanks don't go more than 2 levels high. Just my 2 cents of advice though.

Thank you! what is the total weight of your tanks on the rack and per shelf?

How did you reinforce the sections?

Edited by Oleg

I limited each shelf to 1200 lbs. Any more than that I think that there's to much sag to support the tanks properly. I simply used the plywood over the cross braces to add the extra support & then put the styrofoam over top to compansate for some of the deflection. Throw the mesh they supply in the gabage or find another use for it.

Ive seen similar used in a wholesale fish market but the tanks were at most 75 gallon long..... I myself would not trust a 180 or even a 110 on a hollow channel beam of any kind without a wall thickness of 1/8-3/16" If you are going that big i would say befriend a welder and make it out of 1 1/2 or 2" square tubing or a real good carpenter and Big Bolts....

Ive seen similar used in a wholesale fish market but the tanks were at most 75 gallon long..... I myself would not trust a 180 or even a 110 on a hollow channel beam of any kind without a wall thickness of 1/8-3/16" If you are going that big i would say befriend a welder and make it out of 1 1/2 or 2" square tubing or a real good carpenter and Big Bolts....

Thanks for the reply, will look into square tubing.