Drip system with chlorimine Edmonton users Chime in here Pls

hustler

Ok i have a 3 stage carbon/micron block filter from the filter guys:

• 1 POLY SEDIMENT 1 MICRON FILTER
  • 1 CHLORAMINE MASTER FILTER ACTIVATED CATALYTIC CARBON
  • 1 CHLORAMINE MASTER NH2CL STAGE 3 CARBON BLOCK

with a 2.5 GPH drip that runs into my tank and a bulkhead in my sump for overflow that runs into my sewer drain. The system itself works flawless BUT i dont trust the chlorimines in our water.....

I get the daily epcore water read out and i test the incoming drip weekly for signs the filters are failing and all seems well.....

The thing is I just dont trust it, after a few days running it I have traces of ammonia that arent there when its shut off.

On another forum They have enlightened me on the drip with a PRIME doser and I may look into that as my next option but I would love to talk to someone right here in edmonton using a similar system with positive results before I go buying more parts and making this Basic system more complicated and less trustworthy.....

Daily water Stats

http://www.epcor.ca/en-ca/Customers/water-customers/water-quality-reports/Pages/daily-report.aspx

001-2.jpg

012.jpg

035.jpg

2.5 gph is a real slow drip as far as those blocks are made up.... The told me you could use them for water changes much like a tap and not have to use prime.....

Im at a loss with this system..... I pray someone here in edmonton has the hands on info i need as i am doing 8-10 5 gallon pails every few days now ant the tank is 6 feet high,,,, my back hurts lol

Umm Could the filter be breaking the ammonia and chlorine bond and only keeping the chlorine in the filter pad? Ask them what it is supposed to trap and test the water coming out itself to see if that might be the issue. The filter guys might not see it as an issue since the bacteria in the tank itself could take care of the ammonia eventually.

Good luck

L

P.S. you can find marineland drip containers that would work perfectly with prime for about thirty dollars. Locally i don't know where to go but pm me if you want an internet location

Ive reaserched this to death..... the guys with chlorine get away with just a simple carbon filter..... no prime no high cost chlorimine filters ect.

The guys in the us with chlorimine get away with the more expensive block filters but still no prime adders.... on MFK its all straight forward.

The guys up here however seem to be using the dosers but there are still quite a few that arent. So im at a draw as to my next step.....

If i have to do the doser so be it.... But at the same time I have hear horror stories about prime burn on scaleless fish not to mention my water is a 30 degrees and has salt content so they recommend a half dose.... but epcore really double doses our water due to the bacteria from the rockies.....

Jeeze.... stressful lol

Werner has the best recommendation, IMO. I'm guessing that the block only keeps the chlorine, which is why you're getting an ammonia reading. If you don't want duckweed floating in your tanks, use terrestrial plants. I've used a few different Ivies, Pothos, Philodendron, Peace Lilies, etc. - just rinse the roots off (or take a cutting) and put them in your sump/tank w. a bit of light. Don't put the leaves in the water, they'll just rot; but, the roots will grow and as the plant grows, it'll suck up just about all traces of Nitrogen (ammonia, nitrate).

Umm Could the filter be breaking the ammonia and chlorine bond and only keeping the chlorine in the filter pad? Ask them what it is supposed to trap and test the water coming out itself to see if that might be the issue. The filter guys might not see it as an issue since the bacteria in the tank itself could take care of the ammonia eventually.

Good luck

L

P.S. you can find marineland drip containers that would work perfectly with prime for about thirty dollars. Locally i don't know where to go but pm me if you want an internet location

This to me would also make the most sense. I haven't had the chance to play around with any chloramine problems so others will probably be more knowledgable. The only other thing you could look at is there are a certain type of fliter blocks when used with my one housing the water seems to bypass the filter which I solved by adding in another gasket at the top of the block. I had chlorine issues for awhile when this was happening.

If you have a sump get some duckweed or hornwart in there with some lights. Your cheapest option is somthing that binds ammonia. I haven't heard anything about prime hurting scaless fish at all and i have some and use prime to no ill effect yet even though i do occasionally double dose. This of course doesn't get rid of the resulting nitrite or nitrate but if it keeps the ammonia from reaching the fish in it's harmful form then you have yourself an option. A drip system of maybe a drop an hour based on 2.5 GPH wouldn't really hurt much and wouldn't build up since you have the overflow. There is one more option that doesn't involve more electricity(lights or whatnot) and that is an addition of Ammonia removing chips to the filter. You need to recharge them every so often but maybe look into that idea as well.

Good luck

L

This to me would also make the most sense. I haven't had the chance to play around with any chloramine problems so others will probably be more knowledgable. The only other thing you could look at is there are a certain type of fliter blocks when used with my one housing the water seems to bypass the filter which I solved by adding in another gasket at the top of the block. I had chlorine issues for awhile when this was happening.

I have tested the water coming out of the drip and it tests perfectly clear for chlorine and chlorimines.... Im sure the filters are seated well and the gaskets are pretty thick on this system.

Its really odd as even the .05 ammonia isnt terrible for the hardy fish i keep and its fully cycled with ALOT of bio media so Im sure it can catch up..... But every time i run it a few days the fish look stressed, fins start to clamp, diet starts to dwindle ect. I can do the exact same amount of water change with my 5 gallon pails and a pinch of prime and everybody is just fine.....

I dont suppose anyone can point me towards a video or walkthrough on the doser setup?