Purifying Well Water

FISHLIPS

I live on an acreage and have to haul my water from town for weekly water changes.....anyone use or know of a system that would work to remove any heavy metals or other crap in water?.....ps i have not tried my water in tank but it tastes funny so I don't trust it,this water has been tested and passed, but contains a little iron and alkalinity that gives it a slight off color

Edited by FISHLIPS

Im not 100% sure but my sister lives in BC on an acreage and uses her well water for changes and she doesnt even need to age her water or Prime it. No Chlorine and is very hard. excellent for cichlids.

Edited by Chopperman

If the water is OK for drinking, then it should be fine for fish. Do you have any fish that don't really matter - like feeders? If so, set up a 10gal w/o treating the water and see what happens.

You could pick up an RO/DI system, they will remove pretty much everything from the water. Bacteria, metals, salts. They cost around $150 depending on how many stages you get.

but using 100% RO/DI water means you are also removing the essential elements from the water and you have to reconstitute that somehow.

I've been using well water since I've had fish. The water does run through a water conditionner which means also a 5 micron and a carbon filter. That's mostly because our water had enough iron in it to turn everything brown. Otherwise I have no issues with most fish. I couldn't keep shrimp alive until I started using distilled water, but that's only a 5 gallon tank so it's not much extra work.

RO water is used all the time in saltwater aquariums. Have you thought of taking your water to the local water plant and having it tested?

water was checked already for drinking use.........the water is off colored from the alkalinity......how do i filter without taking out the good elements?