6G Fluval Edge Sw Fowlr With 10G Sump (Pic Heavy)

Cgy_Betta_Guy

So I decided to pick up a used Fluval Edge tank some time ago with the intent of making a small SW tank as a test to see if I enjoy marine setups. I have seen some nice examples on the net and figured I would give it a shot so I started researching a bit.. I knew that small water volumes in SW are generally hard to start especially when you are a SW newb like I am so I decided to make a sump and over flow system. After a month or so I found a few examples and came across a really nice set up by a fellow AA member (Thanks for your input Cale262!) and decided to follow his innovation and maybe work in a couple of my own minor improvements. Here is how its looking so far.

First thing after doing some research was to go out and find some acrylic sheet in order for me to fabricate my own custom overflow box. Finally located some black acrylic and also got my hands on some black silicon.

20101205 - I proceeded to make a cardboard mock up of what my over flow box would look like and the dimensions of the box I would need. After doing this I proceeded to cut the inner panel of the Fluval Edge rear tower which normally houses the filtration. Here is a quick pic after doing a couple table saw cuts to the dimensions needed for the custom over flow.

IMG_2985.jpg

20101209 After getting that done I did a quick layout of where on the back of the Edge tank that the overflow box would sit and also constructed the overflow box. This required using some methylene chloride to acrylic weld the parts together. The resulting box was made and then used to dry fit onto the back of the tank. Now knowing the limits of where the box was going to be situated I proceeded to use a 1/4 drill bit to cut holes into the acrylic rim of the Fluval edge and dry fit the overflow box onto the back.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After applying the silicon and removing the bulkheads

IMG_0703.jpg

close up of inner edge between Fluval edge and the over flow. Black silicon was used to seal it up so no seapage would occur between the overflow box and the tank itself.

IMG_0704.jpg

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

20101213 - A quick pic of my sump build. This was made in a 5G tank. Total water volume increase over the display tank would be about 4G. In case of power outage the amount of siphoned water from the display tank would not over flow my sump.

IMG_0706.jpg

20101214 - To make sure my acrylic weld would hold I reattached the bulkheads and did a quick test of the sump.

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

20101224 - One of the biggest complaints I have with the Fluval Edge in Calgary (being such a dry city) is that water evaporation occurs at a very high rate. So I decided that I needed a solution to prevent such heavy evaporation from this SW tank. The solution I came up with protects my MR16 LED light bulbs from the salt water while also hopefully reducing the amount of evaporation that would occur from the tank. This is constructed from acrylic and a chunk of glass cut to fit inside the open mouth of the Fluval Edge tank

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

This is attached to the existing arm in the tank and utilizes screws which go into nylon center nuts epoxied into the arm so that I can detach and reattach the lid at will.

IMG_0733.jpg

20101224 Here it is after adding salt and live sand. Both salt and live sand caused the water to look extremely cloudy but cleared up quite quickly. In this pic you can also see that the glass on my custom cover hovers about 2mm above the water level as it goes into the overflow.

IMG_0722.jpg

20101228 - and a quick look at how it is set up currently complete with a "herbie" setup to reduce the noise coming from the overflow box. Still need to go out and find a 2" hole saw bit so that I can cut out a hole for the skimmer to poke out of the sump lid. I will have to get to that while its cycling. Also will need to get to organizing the wiring cuz it really annoys me when its messy.

IMG_0739.jpg

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

Thanks for the complement RayFong... ok I am admittedly a SW newb... according to searches these aiptasia are pest anemones.. should I try to remove them and how do I go about doing so? I think this particular chunk of LR has some other critters on it. The back side of it has something similar to FW hydra (short and tree like with 5 or 6 arms/branches). Could these be younger versions of aiptasia? I also just saw some tiny bug/shrimp looking little critters (2-3 mm in length with antennae, light greenish tan colored body with darker lines across its back) crawling on the same chunk of LR as well as some kind of worm sticking out(white body about 1 mm thick and about 5mm in length).... went and got the camera and in that 10 seconds they disappeared or moved to a spot which I cant get a clean pic of them... kinda cool to know I have life in the tank but a bit concerned at the same time since I dont know what they are..

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

I've used a product called Joe's Juice which works, only thing is you have to squirt it into its disc otherwise it won't kill it. Peppermint shrimp also work, when I couldn't get all of my aiptasia with the Joe's Juice I got a couple and they cleaned house. With your edge the best bet is probably Peppermint shrimp as you only have a small opening to work with.