Gravel Vac

Bluecan

Im trying to find a good one, the type that primes itself by pumping but also that does NOT fall apart in doing so? the ones I get seem to be so cheap and have a hard time getting the flow going as well since they just fit together (not screw or anything) they come apart if you pump it too hard grrr anyone know of a good one or where to get it?!

I know this is terribly "unladylike" but I,I,I,oh how can I say this?? Let's just say I use my mouth and leave it at that. :shifty:

I know this is terribly "unladylike" but I,I,I,oh how can I say this?? Let's just say I use my mouth and leave it at that. :shifty:

:rofl:

i'm happy with the marina gravel vacs, have used both the larger one with oblong hard tube and the small one with round tube. never had them fall apart on me, even with completely dismantling them after every use for a hot water rinse. been using the big one for around 2.5 years.

I have used a Marina Vac for years with no problems and even added at one time a 15 ft piece of tubing to drain into a floor drain. You can purchase a suction ball all for the end of the tube for easy starting and all pulls apart for cleaning. The last one I bought 10 years ago was at PJ Pets.

Edited by grunt031

'unladylike' ??? hahahaha...it works doesn't it? Yes I did the same, just sucked it and it worked perfectly. Onetime friend

and their kids coming over and saw me doing the water change. One of kid said..." dad I saw her sucking the pipe!!"

Since then.. I bought a suction ball (siphon) and it also works great. You just have to squeeze it a bit harder and the water from the tank will flow nicely.

But once in a while I still use the 'unladylike' technique because it fast and less time to set up.

For the gravel vac itself, I used the one from Fluval. works great for cleaning my Edge tank.

I have had python and marina gravel cleaning equipment... hated them both / they work however not to my standard... the suction is not near as good as the gravity pull with a rubbermaid below / I can understand why some people use them however because it can be quite a job if you have several tanks and are undersized or limited in some capacity and love the Hobby.

I have had python and marina gravel cleaning equipment... hated them both / they work however not to my standard... the suction is not near as good as the gravity pull with a rubbermaid below / I can understand why some people use them however because it can be quite a job if you have several tanks and are undersized or limited in some capacity and love the Hobby.

I agree, I have a python which I love but the suction it generates using the faucet isn't that great and I dont' like the thought of wasting water. So now for suctioning out I don't attach it to the faucet. I just start the suction and let it drain into the bathtub, or shower drain. Then I use the sink to fill back up. Works great and saves me from lugging buckets around.

hahah no sucking for me! i just fill the tube with tank water and raise it up high enough to get the water to come out the bottom. as soon as it comes out the narrow end i plug it with my thumb. then submerge the wide end again in the tank. and ta da primed!

I use the Marina and it works fine especially with the deeper tank as it has a long pipe. However I think I might pull off the guard from inside as it slows down the flow. I have another one (green end) that works great too but it is too short and I would have to stick my arm in to vacuum. I use buckets......for now ......