20G Planted

gBOYsc2

Hi! I decided to start a journal of my tank here.... so here's the story.

I recently broke down a 50g and downgraded it to this 20g. This is my 3rd go at planted tanks and is probably the first one I am really happy with. I always found it hard to scape with wood in the 50g as I couldn't get any pieces big enough so I decided to try with rocks this time. I think the rocks are too low to the ground though and might possibly try to find some larger pieces. I wanted to set one of these journals up because I like creepin other peoples journal pages but I have been slackin and just never got around to it.

Substrate: Seachem Flourite Black

Lighting: Aquatic Life Dual Lamp T5HO 1x24w 6500k 1x24w Roseate 650nm @ 8 Hours a Day

Filter: Eheim Ecco 2234

Heater: Hydor 200w ETH

C02: 5lb Pressurized Tank

Milwaukee MA-957 Regulator

Ceramic Glass Nano diffuser

Cal Aqua Labs Double Drop Checker

Ferts: Dry Fertilizers using Estimative Index

Flora: Hemianthus callutrichoides, Pogostemon helferi, Hemianthus Micranthemoides, And what I believe is to be Rotala nanjenshan(please let me know if that is wrong)

Fauna: 9x Iriantherina werneri

7x Caridina japonica

1x Pseudomugil furcata(soon to find a new home)

Here are a few pictures taken very shortly after the transfer from the 50g.

Dec. 15, 2010 - Some shots of the Threadfins displaying in the plants.

Rainbows001.jpg

Rainbows003.jpg

Rainbows036.jpg

Rainbows055.jpg

Dec. 29, 2010 - GDA starting to cover the rocks. I thinned out the HM as it had some dead matter towards the bottom as it was all clumped together when I bought it. I also added a black background and changed out the diffuser to a 3 dollar cheapo nano one from ebay and am actually getting finer bubbles then I did with the expensive one I was running on the 50g.

005.jpg

Jan. 04, 2011 - Starting to get some algae growth in the HC.

004-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

My furcata rainbow died out of nowhere 2 days ago. I didn't really like him anyways. He was kind of a bully. LOL. I decided to then go and get 6 more threadfins! Yay! I did a water change today and took a couple pics.... The HM isn't growing as fast as I thought it would.

Jan. 09, 2011 The Helferi is lookin good. Can you believe I got all that for just 10 bucks? I even threw about half of it out when i planted. It was in a tissue cultured aqua 'tub' from Aquaflora Nurseries here in Canada.

013.jpg

024.jpg

Can anyone ID the plant in the back left corner for me?

Enjoy! I plan on updating this every week with water changes.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like it could be. The plant is still young and it is still changing. It looks much much different then it was when I got it. But it still doesn't look like the nanjenshan I see in the pictures on google.

ya i found some info but nothing concrete...I found a pic of your exact plant that says its rotala indica- About half way down the page

But other pics I have of indica look similar but not exact...

Nanjenshan is thought to be a hybrid according to aqua flora so maybe look of the plant can differ??..

Im thinking nanjenshan is right...

You mention your hc is getting algae...try placing your drop checker close to your hc to estimate the co2 levels in that area...I found hc to be very co2 sensitive..

yes it can vary a lot...

You might need to throw a hydor nano just for better circulation. The filter you have running moves a lot of water but that doesn't guarantee there are no dead spots.

Ahh, your 20 gallon looks way cooler than mine! Good placement of the stems in the left back, they fill it in nicely. Hope the fissidens does well in your high-tech tank.

(convinces me I should pick up one of those co2 diffusers)

Edited by Iceturf

Jan. 24, 2011 - I got lazy last sunday and didn't take any pics or do any updates. That week I had been dosing 1.5x EI to try and combat algae and feeding about 4x as much as normal because there was a runt in the 6 rainbows I recently added and I wanted him to get enough food. I consequently lost 2 shrimp and one of my rainbows had half of a fin rot away and another one had a damage to his dorsal fin. Last sunday I did a large water change and only dosed about half the amount as usual during this week. The fin has healed up druing this week and is looking much better now. I wont be 1.5x dosing anymore nor overfeeding like that. Also one more shrimp looks like he's on his last days. He is all cloudy and milky lookin kind of like how they look after they die, but it is still alive.

I took a chunk of the HC out of the center and spread it around the outsides a little so it will fill in faster. I sold some of the downoi because I wanted to make room for another kind of stem plant. I added some Diplis diandra from an aquaflora nurseries tub. I have read mixed reviews about the plant and it's difficulty to grow but I decided to give it a shot. It seems to be doing good so far. The HM is growing ever so slowly but sure is lookin nice. I can't wait till it is very bushy.

Here is the updated pic taken just a few minutes ago. I got lazy again and didn't do my water change today cuz I was a little busy. I will do it tomorrow early in the morning.

003-1.jpg

Edited by gBOYsc2