20G Planted

gBOYsc2

10ppm is good enough for NO3, but I wouldn't go much lower, as you run the risk of getting to 0 - ubr0ke mentioned what happens then. I've had Ammano shrimp live for a couple years, so I doubt they died of old age - if your NO3 kit is accurate, I'd say that's what killed the shrimp.

BTW, 30ppm is the target for CO2 ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shrimp are pretty hardy when it comes to nitrates but are very easily killed by co2.. that is more of a concern...so upping your co2 may not be a good idea...increasing flow by pruning or maybe adding a power head is a safer way to make sure co2 is getting to all your plants...

are you testing before lights come on? and after?....

Ill just paste the post...

For those of you who want a calculator to determine how much of various kinds of NO3 compounds to add to a given quantity of water to make a certain concentration of nitrate, you can go here:http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquascaping/fertilizers-and-co2/fertilizer-solution For example, if you have purchased some of the KNO3 from Greg Watson, you can add 1 tablespoon of KNO3 to 1000 ml (about 1 quart) of water that contains no nitrates--if you have nitrates in your tap water use RO or distilled water. If you take 1ml of this solution, and add it to another liter of no nitrate containing water, you will have about a 10.3 ppm solution of nitrate. If you add 2 ml, you will have about a 20.6 ppm solution of nitrate. If you add half of the 10.3 solution to your AP test kit tube, and dilute it with distilled water, or some other water source with no NO3 up to the measure line, you will have about a 5 ppm solution.

Use a spare test tube to measure the NO3 calibration solution with your nitrate test kit. Compare the color of your tested calibration solution with the a test of your tank water, and you'll know if your tank water is higher or lower than the nitrate in the calibration solution.

You can keep the calibration test for at least two weeks to compare your tank measurements against. Since the calibration test will change color over time, and your test kit will change over time, it's best mix a new calibration test every 2 or 3 weeks to test your tank nitrate against.

If you want to measure 1ml, you can take your AP test tube, mark off 5 equal regions under the measure line (the measure line is about 5 ml).

Also, the plastic pipettes that come with some of the test kits hold about 5ml when filled with the usual pinch and let go.

The NO3 solution you mixed as a calibration solution will stay at the level you mixed for at least a year, if you used very clean water.

Once you know the actual level of nitrates in your tank, you can get a good idea of how quickly nitrates are going up or down in your tank by measuring daily for a couple of weeks. After that, you may only need to test when you make a major change in your tank or routine.

Many find that knowing the precise nitrate levels in their tanks is unimportant. But for those who really want to know, this is how to do it.

Thanks bro. I'm sure I will have some to spare in time. Would you like me to let you know when trimming time comes?

I'm also not sure if I can simply mow it like a lawn or if I will have to top it and replant the tops, throwing away the bottoms. I'll have to test it out.

Yeah it was an aquaflora tub. I only ended up using about 15% of the tub and gave the rest away to nautilus with some other trimmings. They give an amazing amount of plants for 10 bucks. The downoi in my tank is only about half of a tub worth.

Yeah it was an aquaflora tub. I only ended up using about 15% of the tub and gave the rest away to nautilus with some other trimmings. They give an amazing amount of plants for 10 bucks. The downoi in my tank is only about half of a tub worth.

where do you get these tubs from?

I did a good trim yesterday. Everything except the Diplis diandra and the helferi. Might get around to parting up the helferi today.

001-9.jpg

I'm lovin the trimmed look of the HM. :)

Edited by gBOYsc2

I got it from Paradise Pets or Pet Paradise(can't remember what it's called) in St. Albert. They usually have pretty good plants there. I just gave away some clippings on Sunday but I can save my next clippings for you if you'd like. THe one thing I like about it most is it's ease of trimming. No replanting required just snip snip snip into the shape you want.