3.5G Planted

gBOYsc2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I third that last one :guns: :ph43r:

Its right on the money.

The rocks could work, but the Red doesn't seem to fit (in my limited opinion). Perhaps wet them, they might shine more?

On a side note, interested in how that substrate works for you. Perhaps you could shed some light to its source?

Edited by Iceturf

I agree with you Iceturf. The red doesn't fit in. I tried to get the darkest lava rock I could find but the red still shows. Especially after I broke it. I'm not going to use the lava rock but I am definitely interested in the rock that rayfong has.

Is it possible you could post a pic of the rock either here or in a PM rayfong?

As for the Fluval Plant Stratum I think every PJ's pets carries it now. IIRC It cost about 20 bucks for the bag. I am hoping it will be comparable to the ADA Amazonia. I would have like to use the ADA but its so expensive +shipping.

Edited by gBOYsc2

In all reality, with such a small tank, you won't be seeing much of the hardscape at all in a month or so. The red will be covered, and - depending on what plants you're using - even the wood will be covered. IMO, don't worry about the color of rock. Lava rock is really easy for plants to attach to - even 'non-attaching' plants (I've seen Crypts, Gloss, HC, etc) grow right on and in lava rock.

That is a good point jvision. Some of the hardscape will disappear into the plants lol. I am going to try my hardest not to completely cover the wood but I will be using some moss and fissidens along with UG and DHG. So far that is all I really plan but that is easily subject to change. :)

I've seen great nanos scaped with nice grey rock (probably granite), that was initially planted w. HC or Gloss, and in a few months, you couldn't see any of the rocks, it just looked like rolling hills of plants.

I really wanted to do an Iwagumi type layout but I have rocks in my 20g so I wanted to use wood in this one. I just love the contrast of the color of wood to the different greens of all the plants. I know what you mean though a couple of the smaller rocks in my 20g are disappearing into the plants.

I'm ULTRA BORED right now as you can see and decided to show off my iNsAnE gRAPhiC sK1LLZ! LOL

Here is kind of what I want it to look like. The light green is the UG carpet, the dark green is fissidens, moss tied to rocks around the base of the wood and DHG for the background.

LOL.jpg

lmao! loving the 'insane graphic skillz' for sure :rofl:

you sure the dhg will get tall enough? i'd go vals instead, and just keep them trimmed up enough so they lay over the top of the water surface a tad. i've got vals in my 2.5 and they really look great, gives the tank even more dimension.

The hairgrass might get tall enough. I guess might not go with the 'dwarf' hairgrass but a taller variety. Blake gave me some that is definitely tall enough but unfortunately it perished because I didn't have a good place to keep it.