Spnge Filters And/or Filter Sponges Calgary

Bluecan

kinda just looking for the cheapest thing to go on my aquaclear filter intakes....going to check dollar store tommorow for cheap sponges, just the square type but the actual sponge filter looks better...any tips would be good for cheapest place to go

I just use a AC sponge on the intake tube. Or once I bought a piece of filter foam(12x12") at the LFS for a few dollars and cut it to make my own "AC sponges". Cut a slit in one end and slip it over the tube.

I've also tried the actual sponge filter sponges and didn't notice much difference. The only thing was the actual sponge filter I bought had smaller holes so it plugged up faster.

ok thanks, i think ill look into the 12 by 12, where did you pick that up?

If you are just looking for something that is more mechanical and will get some bacteria colonization (but not the best for it), I picked up a couple of cylindrical sponges that you slip over the intake at Big Als that didn't cost much. They came with an sponge insert to plug the bottom up as well. Other than that, the sponges are way too expensive imho.