Weening Of Bbs

fatpuffer

Time wise it's kind of hard to call that. It is going to depend on the species, any special needs, growth rate, tank size that they have grown in, how fussy as a species they are etc.

But as a rule of thumb, I'd guess at least a month. Outside of the dwarves (apistos etc.) most SA and CA cichlids will eat the bbs. flake, pellets, and will likely try to eat the containers they came in, just to be sure they got it all.

Typically with them I'd try feeding a bit of crushed flake just before the brine shrimp. Watch to see if they are eating it. Usually they are so hungry everything that fits in their mouth is considered food, so I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble converting them.

Do you have a picture of them? What size are they now?

Thank you. i do not have pics yet. they are only about 2+ weeks old. They are jack dempsey cichlid. i've had many batches but did not have time to raise them. Now i do (well more time at least). they are ebjd x bg cross. Never mentioned it as I did not want to jinx it. haha. i only have about 20 or so fry as the rest fungused. ebjd was busy eating bloodworms instead of fertilizing.

thanks.

jonah

Thank you. i do not have pics yet. they are only about 2+ weeks old. They are jack dempsey cichlid. i've had many batches but did not have time to raise them. Now i do (well more time at least). they are ebjd x bg cross. Never mentioned it as I did not want to jinx it. haha. i only have about 20 or so fry as the rest fungused. ebjd was busy eating bloodworms instead of fertilizing.

thanks.

jonah

yah. At about a month, month and a half maybe? I'd start crushing a bit of flake and dropping it in before you feed the bbs. eventually up the flake, drop the BBS. With Jack Dempseys it will be a pretty quick transition. Last i recall, they eat anything that fits in their mouth and a lot of stuff that won't! (like any guppies or fish that might be food to them.)

update: fry are still eating bbs. i have not attempted with prepared foods yet as they are just passing the delicate state. they are always fed as much as possile as i find it decrease the aggressiveness of what i think are bgjd. there is a definate difference between fry. one looks yellow/tan and one mor grey between the bands. the bands themselves are become a bit different as well. the grey ones do have thicker bands. i believe from past research that the yellow/tan ones will be the ones to develop into ebjd. if that is the case, the majority of the 20+ fry remaining are mostly ebjd.

also interesting observation is that 18-24 hrs just after hatching the bbs are phytophyllic and runs towards the light. 36 hours later...the bbs runs away from them. so in one container i am using, there are different stages of bbs and there are two distinc clumping...one wher the flashlight is and one in the darkest part of the container. and when i move the light....the two groups are seen moving and switching place.

wish me luck.

jonah

good luck! you can use hikari first bites, my fry took it within the first week, ive heard of a lot of ppl starting straight off the bat with this...also another thing i havent tried would be to use your favorite pellet in a pepper grinder. I may try that next time if i ever have fry again. Very interesting that you are seeing the differences in the fry, in the fry that you believe are eb's are you also finding that they are smaller than the carriers?

On another note, its been over a year since ive had babies, but im pretty sure bbs lose their nutritional value after 24 or 48 hours ish? might be something worth looking into, and in my opinion these babies should be more than ready to start on flake (powder) foods, just keep it clean as im sure you already know, and feed in tiny amounts with a straw. I understand you wanting to be more careful with these guys though especially the blues as they are known to be more sensitive...cant wait to see pics

cheers

Some of the suspected eb are indeed smaller but I have been feeding them live bbs continously so they are not outcompeted by the carriers. i thnk the bbs are good until yolks are depleted. I don't really knw so i am overfeeding anyways. I tried crushed pellets with bbs and i noticed the fry taking it but immediately spitting them out. it is easy enough to make a batch of bbs as fred gave me almost a pound of eggs!

we'll see how it will turn out.

jonah

UPDATE:

Still eating bbs. I will continue on with it as it is easy enought to hatch them. I separated the two groups today. I have about 11 suspected ebjd. only time will tell but i am 99% sure they are ebjd. the rest i let fend for themselves in the big tank with plenty hiding area in the big driftwood. continue crossing my finger.

Jonah

I feed my African cichlid fry live baby brine shrimp exclusively for two or three weeks. Then move them over to cyclopeeze and NLS crushed Grow formula with live BBS for a couple of weeks to wean them off of the BBS.

That is just an average. My cyprichromis need live BBS longer and my tropheus fry, not as long.

My shrimp take 24-30 h to hatch and then I use it within 6 hours.

Edited by punman

Where do you get your cyclopeeze?

I feed my African cichlid fry live baby brine shrimp exclusively for two or three weeks. Then move them over to cyclopeeze and NLS crushed Grow formula with live BBS for a couple of weeks to wean them off of the BBS.

That is just an average. My cyprichromis need live BBS longer and my tropheus fry, not as long.

My shrimp take 24-30 h to hatch and then I use it within 6 hours.