Sand

Dominic

i have no trouble at all growing plants in play sand - anubias, crypts, swords, crinums, etc. i don't have mts to stir up the sand, but i do 'chop' it with a plastic card now and then during a water change to keep it from compacting too much. my bn pleco uproots the odd plant, but she used to do the same in another planted tank with gravel sometimes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used White dolomite from kenroc biulding supllies very dusty took forever to clean. It's available in a variety of sizes and sorry dan't remeber the size I ended up going with but it looks good. Tropheus and Eretmodus cyanostictus are doing great in it!!! I remeber it being the cheapest option I could find.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you guys used crushed coral? I think it's better to keep your KH up, only thing i did notice was i had a low salt level. Sat about .2% (point 2) then with regular water changes it's stayed down to pretty much nothing but my KH doesn't shift like it used to. I also have lots of stacked chunks of mountain coral and wood for everyone to hide in.

• 3 weeks later...

They'll do fine in gravel - when cichlids want to spawn, not much will stop them. :)

Of course, I'm assuming you have SA/CA or some of the common Africans. There are some some cichlids that are a bit more difficult, but the typical ones found in LFS or Kijiji are usually less demanding.

• 4 weeks later...