Iodotropheus sprengerae

nevchewy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nev - what size are the rusties that he shipped you?

I've never seen any species of Africans get black spots such as those over the course of a few days of being in transport. Rusties are as tough as nails, and unless packed improperly they should have had no issues whatsoever with a short flight from MB to AB. Hopefully whatever it is, it can be cured with medication.

Edited by RD.

The sizes of the 8 received ranged from the 1.5" as the biggest and the smallest would be about 1/2".

the 1.5" rusty is one that is most affected and the others are about 3/4", with the black spots.

I had one die on me be it didn't have any black spots at all.

As soon as i get them in a hosptal tank... i'll post some more pics.

Hung - How big are yours with the spots?

nev

I went Hung's place to have a look and they are VERY poor and are covered in Black blotches...You can't consider them to be spots!!!!!

Hung seems to think that it might be spreading to some of his other fish!!!!!

I wonder if James would give you a credit for them as they are poor!!!!!

Just for the record, the rusties that I got in the past that originated from James, were the best strain of rusties that I have ever seen. It's possible that they looked fine when he shipped them, but the stress of being transported brought this 'disease' (for lack of a better word) to a head.

Short of getting a sample, and having it examined by someone who's an expert in this area, I would place the entire lot into a qt tank, and treat with Coppersafe for a full 30 days. Coppersafe treats; Ick, Flukes, Anchor Worms, Velvet/Protozoan Diseases and other freshwater parasites.

Just for the record, the rusties that I got in the past that originated from James, were the best strain of rusties that I have ever seen.

I'll second that.

Neil - Do you know where i can get Coppersafe? other than ordering it off the net.

does any one know where to find Coppersafe?

Just a question, because i plan on taking the fish with spots out tonight and treating them in a hospital tank ASAP...

I will take more pics of them and post tonight. I emailed james to see what he has to say about the whole situation. I also suggested James to join this site to put in his 2 cents if he has anything to say!

I am very concerned! Newbie mistake in not quarantining. Lesson learned!

Hung - If you can... please let me know what you are seeing in your fish, and how they are doing. As well if you can post any pics that may help as they were in seperate bags... but I'm sure they came from the same tank in winnipeg. I pm'ed you james email if you wish to email him.

nev

Edited by nevchewy

here they are in in thier new home (hospital tank) and have been treated with coppersafe.

I found coppersafe at Pj's for about $9 bucks. When i asked the girl that was working there what she thought of my problem... she told me it was genetic. I then told her that the parents were fine as well as when they were fine before being shipped. She said, "Oh, then give that a try if that was suggested to you."

she had no clue...

here are some more pics:

rustyblackspot1.jpg

rustyblackspot2.jpg

rustyblackspot3.jpg

hung - can you post a pic to let me see how yours are?

i'll post if there is any change.

nev

Edited by nevchewy

their nearly the same as yours, but i noticed the biggest one have a quite "large spot on him". but it seems like my galileo red tops have some black on them as well. i hope their okay. gonna try some salt in there and hope they are okay. if not then i'll use coppersafe.

i'll keep you updated, and i'll post some pics tmr when i have the time,

Hung

God, if it spreads imma be so f***ing pissed. cause i bought those f1 galileo red tops to breed!

Hung

Hello all, Nev I tried calling you yesterday but you didn't return my call....Anyways for the record the fish never left my house looking like the pics you have posted here. I don't know what happened in transfer to you. The fish could have stressed or the box could have been sitting out in the heat for an hour I have know Idea. I do not send bad fish to anyone cause what would that gain me...Nothing. Strange things happen in shipping sometimes, I have never had a problem shipping until now but I did recieve an entire order that was worth over a $1000 last year that all showed up dead. I guess thats the risk we take when shipping. I think it was a fluke occurance and this should not scare you from shipping again in the future from me or anyone else. As you can see there are other people on this fourm that have fish from me and were very happy. I did alot of work and preperation for this order so I am just as upset that it didn't work out the way you wanted it. If there not dead then it probably can be fixed so give them some time. James

P.S. I have sent a photo of a male of mine to Nev that I took a couple of months ago maybe he can post it and you can see what it looks like