Iodotropheus sprengerae

nevchewy

Should rusty's have black spots or not.

From all of the pictures that i have seenm most do not have black spots, but i have see a few with them.

I just got my order from James in winnipeg... and 3 of the 8 have these black spots on them.

I was just wondering if they Wild caughts are found with the black spots on them or if they should be free of black spots.

RD - when you had some rusty's from james did they have any black spots?

Just wondering if it could be a quality issue...

thanks in advance,

nev

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as I thought. For a minute I thought you had James order WC in for you.

Neil's completely right......they should not have them. Do a Google search on black spot disease, and maybe post a pic if you can get it.

Dunl

Tough littly guys to take pics of...

this was the best pic i could take:

rustyblackspot.jpg

8 of 9 survived the trip from winnipeg.

3 of 8 are similar to the guy above with teh black spots...

I don't think its a desease... but i'm still a newbie and i could be wrong.

i'm going to email james to hear his story...

thanks for helping me out!

nev

EDIT to say: hung also notice that he had about 3 of 9 rusty's with the black spots. So for sure i know it wasn't just my bag.

Edited by nevchewy

I'm not sure if it's black spot disease, but it's certainly not normal either. Check the links out in my post found in the thread below for more info on black spot disease:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=84885

I'm surprised that the seller didn't mention this detail, and personally I'd be concerned about it spreading to my other fish.

If you look at the pic of that guy, it almost looks like the black spots are on the surface, rather than just part of the fish.

These fish look like the black is part of the fish... in the fins and the body.

I'll email james and let you all know what he has to say.

thanks RD for the info!

nev

Whatever it is, it is not normal for Iodotropheus sprengerae, and IMO it is definitely something to be concerned about. It may not kill your fish, but could very well spread to other fish.

These are very poor shots, but the only ones I have from James last rusties.

holding female: (under 2 inches)

rust3.jpg

dom male @ 2 inches

rusty2.jpg

rusty3.jpg

Edited by RD.

Now i'm Concerned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what james had to say:

Hello Nev, the Rustys had no spots whats so ever when I shipped them....My colony is clean.  A friend of mine says that happens sometimes when they get stressed  during shipping and might go away. ( but I have never heard of that before ) Just ask the guy from red deer who bought a bunch of them from me.  I attached a picture of one of my males that I took around two months ago.  I can honestly say I don't know how the fish got black spots on them, nothing like that has ever happened to me when I have shipped before.  When I recieved some fish from London Ont once I had fish that had puffy eyes and neither myself or my friend who shipped them to me could figure out why this happened..I guess every fish can react different to shipping.  Anyways maybe they will grow out of it...If you write a review that of course is up to you I just hope you don't say anything negative...Have a good one James

As soon as i get home i am taking them out of my tank!

and i guess we'll see.

Thanks RD for you concern, and help!

nev