How 2 Tell Albino Bristlenose Pleco Sex

peckham125

Whomever lays the eggs is generally the female.. Actually the males grow bristles(on the noses) and the ladies don't..

• 1 month later...

OK, wait... If a female had bristle how big would they be?? I've had 2 full grown ones so far. My newest is too small to tell. The first one i had had nothing, and one i have now has some bristles, but nothing like the massive amounts i've seen in some pictures. ( i haven't seen a real life male yet, unless this is one). So that's kind of thrown me for a loop and i don't know what to think now, lol.

Females sometimes have a few short bristles on the tip of their noses, males - even small ones will develope bristles up the face

I've found that generally the fish have to be about 2 to 2 1/2" before there is any sign of the bristles growing around the mouth and 3 to 3 1/2" before a definite sign of the bushy growth on the face of the males. Any smaller than that and it is just a shot in the dark. I have lots of females with tiny bristles around the mouth and plenty that have nothing at all. Another thing to watch for on albinos is the pink or red patch on the forehead of the males starting to develope.