Lessons Learned

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just couldn't read anything.....my vision was very blurry

I thought it was funny that she asked me to read stuff

Did she clue in that she asked someone who can't really see to read something? or did you have to tell her? XD

Glad you didn't get permanent damage! It's not fun having partial blindness...although it does give me a reason to buy an eye-patch lol

Arg! ;)

Edited by DragonNeko

• 10 months later...

Remember to do regular maintenance on canister filters replace seals before they fail LOL, and have spare parts on hand for emergencies.Stepping in a puddle at feeding time is not a good way to start your day.

Edited by flyfisher

remember to always unplug your heater 10 minuits before doing a water change, oops! never try to catch a 11" pleco barehanded good way to slice your hand open. Catfish squeel and make farting noises when pulled out of the water very funny to hear. I don't keep fish I keep water.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Don't live next door to a crazy fish keeper, who buys used tanks. Then gets 20 tanks when local fish store relocates!!

I had been out of the hobby 12 years and now I have 4 active tanks and craving more! Also don't get into breeding fancy guppy strains. I see more tanks in my future for F1 and F2 generations. 

This all started with a 15 gal for my teenager. He added a 33 gal. Then I couldn't resist the 55 gal with stand. Then I bought a trio of Mang guppies they now have a 20gal, have to keep strain pure. Babies from store bought guppies, my son calls mongrel.

He told me to get my homebred store bought F mongrel guppies out of his Moscow guppy tank! Good thing 55 gal has only a few fish!

Research is a must if you never kept the species! We now have a Bala shark in a 3' tank that in a couple years will need a 6' tank. Told our small town pet shop, to indicate the size of tank they need and that they like to school.  Tag says not a community fish, nothing else.

Also always quarantine and treat new purchases! Have a spare tank set up and running, it saves a lot of time and grief!

Dont listen to neighbor whose trying to rescue goldfish from golf course pond, where he works. Shouldn't have told said neighbor, goldfish are considered invasive species! Now teenage son wants to do a backyard pond.

Dont want to think of all these goldfish getting killed! I can't kill a guppy or rosy red minnow if I've had it over a month!!

The minnow is 11 months and sole survivor of 6, after buying chain store platys, my guppies survived along with 1 minnow and 2 of 9!platys.

Rose reds get over 3" and a thick body. I can't feed little Conrad to Neighbor Conrad's phirana (sp)!

I've grown up since a child with a fish crazy mom, who even had tanks on the back of the toilet tank. When I moved on my own, I had 4 tanks between 33gal -54 gal.

Now I've passed the addiction on to my son. Who I awoke to him at 9 months, swimming in my 48 gal fish tank. Learned babies can crawl weird places, even if it's 3' tall and thin edge stand! Also don't leave the tank with no top.

In conclusion friends don't like moving 4 big tanks, along with 300lbs of rocks collected from the wild. My excuse was it's to decorate my tank. I moved 3 hrs W of Edmonton and I still have my rocks and my old 48 gal, however, it needs the bottom glass replaced, so not sure what to do with it! Emotional attachment as it was second tank I bought once living on my own!!  I've reused some rocks in current tanks and the rest are in my rock garden.

Thanks for reviving this post. I hadn't seen the original and it was worth the read. My mantra is:

Learn from fellow hobbyists, but don't trust them completely
Learn from your local fish store, but trust them less

Learn from books, but don't trust them completely
Learn from the internet, but trust it less

In case of doubt, learn from nature

Edited by biodives